Cooking on Campus: Chicken Noodle Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

A crock-pot can be extremely useful for collegiettes trying to make substantial meals with limited time – and money. Cooking with a crock-pot allows you to prepare meals that last through the week with enough leftover to freeze. Last week I made crock-pot fajitas, and this week I came across a crock-pot chicken noodle soup recipe on Pinterest that looked delicious.

Chicken noodle soup is such a comfort dish, and now that the weather is growing colder, there is nothing better than coming home from class to a warm house that smells of chicken soup. This recipe made enough to feed five girls for dinner, with leftovers to share and store in the fridge.

All you need is:

• 3-4 frozen chicken breasts
  • 4 carrot sticks, cleaned and chopped
  • 4 celery sticks, cleaned and chopped
  • 1 32 oz. carton of chicken stock
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1 ½ cup water
  • 1 cup milk
  • Salt, pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon each onion flake, dry basil and dry oregano leaves
  • 1 bag egg noodles
  1. Combine all wet ingredients together in the crock-pot, whisk together.

2. Add vegetables, frozen chicken breasts and seasonings. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

3. Boil and cook egg noodles, meanwhile taking chicken out and shredding with a fork.

4. Put chicken back in soup and add noodles. Serve immediately, refrigerator or freeze.

Enjoy!

*Recipe from the Craft-O-Maniac Blog (http://www.craft-o-maniac.com/2011/10/crock-pot-creamy-chicken-noodle-soup.html

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com