(Bri)ng on the Bass: ten tracks that will blow your mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

A rainy day means three things: tea with milk and honey, slightly frizzier hair and a compulsive need for a new playlist. Luckily, you reap the benefits. Enjoy!

1 – “The Run Around” by Nick Luebke and TO

Hip-hop/rap artist Nick Luebke hails from my alma mater, Middleton High School. My roommate recently asked if I knew him and proceeded to show me his rendition of Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” on YouTube. The video has blown up on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus and beyond, boasting over 151,000 views since its debut on March 20. 

2 – “Close To You” (Nero Remix) by Calvin Harris 

The first suggestion that pops up when I strike the “y” key on my MacBook Pro (thanks, YouTube). Needless to say, I am obsessed. 

3 – “Gotta Be You” by One Direction

Long before “What Makes You Beautiful” invaded Billboard Top 100, my best friend, Maya Johnson introduced me to this song. It immediately induced nostalgia for ‘N Sync and Backstreet Boys. But on second thought, this band has two things neither ‘90s group did: British accents and better fashion. Johnson now co-writes a blog for the band, which loves new and old One Direction fans equally. (http://onedirectioninfectionus.tumblr.com/). 

4 – “Float On By” by Ari Herstand

You may recognize the name – Herstand played on the Hill this March. Currently on tour around the U.S., Herstand just finished recording his new album, to be released this fall.

5 – “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz

Jason Mraz dropped his new album, “Love Is A Four Letter Word” this past Tuesday, April 16. Though this particular single was released earlier, it remains my favorite track on the album. 

6 – “Cinema” by Benny Benassi featuring Gary Go

“I could watch [listen to] you for a lifetime…”

7 – “Lights” (Bassnectar Remix) by Ellie Goulding

Ellie Goulding’s dance moves combined with special effects and a Dubstep rhythm…perfection.

8 – “Embody” by SebastiAn

Confession: this recommendation has more to do with sentimentality than anything else. I cannot listen to it without seeping back to a day of dancing in the streets in Piran, Slovenia with friends Robin Cole and Caleigh Kimberley. 

9 – “Soul & Body” by Air Dubai

A hip-hop band from Denver, Colorado, this band’s sound has more energy than a triple espresso. 

10 – “Touch the Sky” by Kanye West featuring The Xx

No mix is complete without a finishing touch from my favorite band: The Xx. 

Watch for an upcoming post on singer-songwriter Ari Herstand, who graciously agreed to an interview while recording his album in Northfield, Minnesota. 

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.