Style > Beauty

Beauty Beat: Keep Your Legs Looking Great this November!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Breaking news: Girls all over St. Olaf, in a feminist demonstration of equality, have decided to participate in “No-Shave November”! As head judge of my friends’ no-shave competition, I have felt some nasty legs. I guess they are warm at least… For the rest of us who prefer to take the smoother route, here are some ways to keep our legs looking great this month.

1.   Make sure that you are using a sharp razor. Contrary to what you might think, old razors are more likely to cut and nick your legs than new ones, because they pull and tug on your skin. Also, the shave is not as close, so regrowth is noticeable sooner.

2.   Make sure to wash your legs before shaving. The warm water opens pores and softens hair follicles. I also use an exfoliating body scrub to get all the dead skin off. This is just good for your skin in general and will keep it looking healthy in these dry months ahead.

3.   Shave with conditioner. I find that this is not only more inexpensive than shaving cream, but softens your leg hair even more. Whereas shaving creams are aimed as softening skin, conditioner softens skin and hair. Softer hair means a closer and easier shave, so make the switch. Don’t forget to let the conditioner set for three minutes before shaving.

4.   After you shower, apply moisturizer while your legs are still warm and a little damp. Getting lotion on before pores close back up locks in moisture, so don’t dillydally and get that done first after getting out of shower.

5.   Shave your knees or other tricky spots after you have applied lotion. In the light, you can see that pesky stubble behind your knees, around your ankles and on your knees. The light offers a chance for precision; take advantage of it.

6.   Consider using a self-tanning lotion. Not only is it extra moisture, but it is also a way to keep your legs glowing!

7.   After I am done shaving, if I have time, I like to sit in cotton pants (yoga pants, sweats, or leggings) while I dry my hair and get ready. The pants keep your legs warm and allow the lotion to soak in fully.

The key point here is to moisturize. The air is no longer dewy, and our legs get dry and scaly pretty easily. Drink lots of water this month to avoid getting sick and maintain a healthy glow in your skin. Maybe show a little leg this weekend; I am sure the boys have been missing skirt season.

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.