This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

For those of you who don’t know, Aerie is the intimate apparel brand owned by American Eagle Outfitters. While the clothing made by Aerie is wonderful already, just making clothes is not the best thing this brand is doing. They have introduced a very important campaign called #Aeriereal. The idea behind the Aerie Real campaign is to display the natural beauty that women possess that they want their clothing to enhance. This campaign is a very important step in publicizing the natural beauty of women.

Some intimates brands such as Victoria’s Secret have their company’s image based around models with perfect features. The idea behind Aerie’s campaign is to show a more realistic view of how women appear. If you were going to strive to look like a model, it would be much easier to compare yourself to someone with a real body than a model with features impossible to attain. Aerie’s goal is to show what their spokespeople look like completely unretouched. They are attempting to not even use models for this. They don’t want big name supermodels associated with their brand because they want real women represented.

Everyone can be a part of this campaign. If you use the hashtag #aeriereal, there is a chance that your picture might be seen by someone at American Eagle Outfitters and even put on their website. It is so important in today’s culture that we promote a healthy body image and show young girls, as well as women, what healthy and real bodies look like. The good news is, Aerie’s campaign is just a stepping stone and hopefully soon we will see other companies following suit.

Stay Real St. Olaf,

xoxo

Cover photo, tshirt photo, aerie real photo