yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

10 Reasons Why Autumn on the Hill is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Happy Fall! For some, September 22nd is the absolute worst not only because they have an early morning class, but because it marks the end of shorts, outdoor barbecues and waking up to a sunny day. 

I’ll give this one to you, waking up this morning to an ominous Northfield sky definitely made it 10x harder to climb out of bed (it was so cozy and warm….). 

Yet, I believe fall is one of the best times to be on the Hill. And here are, in no particular order, are 10 reasons why: 

1.) Fall Foliage

This one is a no-brainer. With a campus like St. Olaf’s, you can expect to see some of the most beautiful fall foliage in the country. Best spots on campus to see some fiery hues: hill overlooking practice field near Old Main, Regents Hall Atrium, the Quad and Hilleboe/Kittelsby Halls.   

2.) Homecoming and Family Weekend 

Family, football, Monop-Ole, trivia night, dodgeball and the Pause dance. Need I say more? 

3.) Weather 

The average temperature in Northfield during the fall season ranges from a high of 72-42 degrees from September to November. It’s the perfect temperature to explore the natural lands in their full fall colors, go on a run or sip some hot coffee in the Quad. 

4.) Sweater Weather (plus boots!)  

There is nothing better than wearing your favorite oversized, knit sweater and cute boots while walking around campus. Warm, chic and comfortable, what more could you want? 

5.) No More Mosquitos  

During the first few days on campus, mosquitos were everywhere. But with the cool weather settling in, we won’t have to deal with them for a while. Say yes to grabbing a table near the Dittmann Center or a seat under the Wind Chime Memorial with a friend and enjoy! 

6.) Pumpkins 

Pumpkin patches, PSLs, pumpkin carving, pumpkin pie. Don’t worry, I can name at least 10 more “pumpkin-y” things. There is just something very happy about pumpkins, whether it’s their name or their color, they never cease to put a smile on my face.

7.) Halloween 

On a more frightening note, Halloween is a great way to get dressed up and the perfect excuse to buy hoards of candy during a Target run without being judged. Also, if you are interested, Melby, Thorson and Rølvaag are haunted. Check it out! 

8.)  Sitting Around a Fire 

Fall is a great time for sitting by the fire, whether by the fireplace in your dorm’s lounge or around Thorson’s firepit. It’s the opportune time to catch up with friends, eat s’mores and maybe talk to that cute guy you’ve been seeing around campus. 

9.) A Fresh Start  

F. Scott Fitzgerald couldn’t have said it better. 

10.) The Return of Your Favorite TV Shows 

While Fresh Off the Boat won’t be back till October 11th; Once Upon a Time, Bob’s Burgers and Criminal Minds will be airing this coming week! Check at the full list here

Image Sources: F. Scott Fitzgerald Quote, Jessica Huang photo