Wellness

Why Aesthetics are Important, Even if They Don’t Matter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Have you ever come across a place so picturesque that you just didn’t know what to do with that image in your mind? Or have you experienced a scent that transcends your surroundings and brings you to a new time and place? How about a couple of words on a page that fit beautifully together or music that transforms an indescribable emotion into something audible? We all have those enchanting moments where we are struck with the seeming perfection of an experience. Maybe you sit and think, “Wow, how nice…but what am I going to do with that? The beauty of these things isn’t getting me anywhere productive. I should probably go do my homework or something that I’m going to be able to reap the concrete benefits from.” Maybe I’m alone in this feeling, but I highly doubt it. We tend to brush off the aesthetic value of our everyday lives in the hope that hard work will pay off and with the notion that these things won’t make a difference in our ability to realize our dreams. In my experience, though, this couldn’t be further from the truth. 

As Oscar Wilde puts it, “…beauty is a form of genius — is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation” (“The Picture of Dorian Gray”). There is no need to figure out why we are drawn to an object, song, painting, etc. In my opinion, our only obligation to our work at that moment is to let that feeling of being in a state “higher” than our ability to reason guide us to where our hard work will make the most difference. This idea coincides with the Law of Attraction (If you’re interested in learning more about this, I highly recommend listening to Abraham Hicks), which is based on the premise that allowing this beauty and good feeling into your life and focusing your attention on it will only lead to more of that beauty and good feeling manifesting around you. The perfection and ease that enters your life as a result of giving attention to your favorite art piece, or scene in a movie, etc. will translate into your work life. Work will still be necessary to achieve your goals, but that work will present itself in more “beautiful”, inspiring, and clear ways. 

Vision boards are a perfect example of this idea. You find images you want to manifest in your own life — sometimes just for the beauty of it and the way you think it will make you feel. You glance at that board time and time again, focusing your energy on it. Soon, those dreams, or at least the doors to them begin presenting themselves to you. All you had to do was surround yourself with the things that make you happy and that you find inspiration in. 

Make your whole life a vision board! Of course, I don’t mean physically in every regard. Time, money, and effort are all things that go into creating that “dream life” you envision. But that’s precisely my point. Focus on the things already present in your life that feel dreamy and awe-inspiring. Soon, time will astonishingly appear in your schedule, money will start flowing to you and effort will feel like fun. 

Just try to focus on the beauty of the world around you and only things that make you happy for a week and see what happens. You will be glad you did!

Disclaimer: Her Campus St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article. 

Did you enjoy this article? Be sure to check out more of our articles and our socials! Are you interested in joining? Be sure to reach out to us on our platforms or fill out the sign-up link.

LINKS HERE: https://linktr.ee/hcstlawu

Olivia Modarelli

St. Law U '24

Hi, I'm Olivia! I am currently a freshman at St. Lawrence University and am so excited to be starting my college career. I love to travel, write, dance and act, and I am currently pursuing a career in both writing and the performing arts. Check out this blog post from my gap year abroad: https://blog.apiabroad.com/on-site/auditioning-for-the-moulin-rouge-api-blog/
We are Her Campus St. Law U.