This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

It’s that time of year; carols are being sung, candy canes are adorning Christmas trees, and everyone is in the Christmas spirit. During this holly jolly season, people are spending time together in front of the fire, wrapping presents, drinking hot chocolate, and enjoying being with their family and friends. And this is prime time to throw on some holiday films. Here are twelve Christmas movies that are perfect for winding down the hours until Santa arrives.

12. A Muppet’s Christmas Carol (1992)

(imdb.com)

Full of your favorite Muppets, this film retells Charles Dickenson’s famous tale, A Christmas Story. With good songs and a heartfelt ending, this movie is perfect to kick off your countdown to Christmas.

11. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

(amazon.com)

A heartfelt classic, this movie follows Charlie Brown and company through the most wonderful time of year and the true meaning of Christmas.

10. Frosty the Snowman (1969)

(amazon.com)

Instantly recognizable from its catchy tune, this animated film tells the fun story of the loveable snowman who came to life one wintery day.

9. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

(amazon.com)

An amazing film, your holiday spirit will be boosted with this story of a man who claims he is the real Kris Kringle and his impact on New York City and the world.

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

(amazon.com)

Both a Halloween and Christmas movie, this Tim Burton classic will both excite and terrify you with its unique animation and fleshed-out characters.

7. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

(en.wikipedia.org)

A Christmas comedy, the Griswold family is at it again with the Griswold Family Christmas taking a hectic yet hysterical turn.

6.The Santa Clause (1994)

(qxfm104fm.com)

Tim Allen takes on Santa’s job in this movie as he accidentally injures the real Santa. It is a great family film, one that you will cherish for life.

5. Home Alone (1990)

(imdb.com)

Kevin takes on two burglars by himself during the holidays in this film. Don’t underestimate him, though; he is a force to be reckoned with.

4. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)

(grandforksherald.com)

Yet another classic Christmas carol, the story of the loveable misfit with a glowing red nose will warm your heart and fill you with glee.

3. A Christmas Story (1983)

(itunes.apple.com)

“You’ll shoot your eye out!” Full of quotable lines, hilarious scenes, and clever writing, this film is an important part of any family’s Christmas.

2. Elf (2003)

(en.wikipedia.com)

Will Ferrell perfectly embodies an elf that feels out of place in the Big Apple. Buddy’s search for his dad will not only change him but change those around him.  

1.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1967)

(amazon.com)

Sorry, Jim Carrey, but the original will never be beaten. The green Grinch, the catchy tunes, and the adorable animation make this movie a staple in your holiday movie watching.

Hannah Lobdell

St. Law U '22

I love attending St. Lawrence University! I am interested in reading, movies, video games, and music. I also LOVE to watch and play ice hockey. I also play rugby!
Katie Leffel

St. Law U '21

Hi! My name is Katie Leffel and I am a sophomore and Campus Correspondent for St. Lawrence University, situated in Canton, New York. I am furthering my interests and pursuing double major in Business in the Liberal Arts and Economics as well as a minor in Film Studies. In addition, I am from Connecticut and my interest include fashion, art, exersize, and the great outdoors!