This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

*This article is not sponsored.

I originally started writing this article in March 2020 when we were constantly being bombarded with news regarding COVID-19 and its effect on the world. While that is all very crucial to our understanding of the pandemic, it is equally important not to neglect the other current events. Nowadays, there are so many news outlets sharing different views about one single story and the facts become blurry in the mess of what could be untrue; this is where theSkimm should become your new best friend/breakfast buddy.

What is theSkimm? Why do I love it?

What is theSkimm? theSkimm is a newsletter that gets sent to your inbox around 7:00 am (EST) during the weekdays. It was co-founded by two college students who are women who were always trying to keep up with current events with the numerous media outlets. This is when they came up with theSkimm to condense the information of an event from various outlets all in one email for your inbox.

I have been a loyal subscriber (this is a free subscription unless you want the Ambassador perks) since my sophomore year in high school! Here are some of the reasons why I highly recommend that you subscribe to theSkimm.

Reason 1: Sent Early (EST) Every Week Day

I enjoy waking up to see theSkimm at the top of my inbox on Mondays through Fridays (unless it’s a holiday, of course). I find comfort in receiving a consistent newsletter as it helps me start my morning routine! Morning routines are essential for me and I firmly believe there is an underappreciation for reading the news at the start of every day. Establishing a morning routine sounds daunting, but if you break up your morning routine into smaller pieces, reading a summary of what is going on in the world around me (and not just within the United States) is a great item to add to your morning routine list.

Reason 2: Quotes of the Day

I love having a cute quote of the day to get me thinking! The quotes of the day aren’t your typical “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” It’s more for entertainment purposes.

For example, the quote of the day for March 2, 2021 was: “‘Mindestabstandsregelung’ – German for social distancing. Fitting for the word itself to be six feet long.”

How can you not enjoy a quote of the day like that?!

Reason 3: Reading Experience

This e-newsletter isn’t your typical newsletter! While reading theSkimm, you feel as though you’re sitting in a coffee shop (despite being in your own kitchen since we’re still experiencing a pandemic) talking about the news with your friend. You’re not just talking about the news in the United States though; you’re talking about international relations, the entertainment industry, book recommendations, podcast recommendations, tips on how to save money, new shows to watch on Netflix, Hulu, and more!

BONUS BENEFITS!

If you become obsessed with theSkimm, you can opt-in for extra newsletters with Skimm Picks (product and book recommendations, discount codes) and Skimm Money for tips on how to save money (GREAT for us college students) and how to refresh your LinkedIn Profile! As a Senior in college, I LOVED this segment in the March 2, 2021 newsletter! You can even share a link with your friends; the more friends who sign up to receive theSkimm newsletters, the closer you are to becoming a Skimm’bassador.

What is a Skimm’bassador?

After eight of your friends use your code to sign up for theSkimm, you become a Skimm’bassador. As a SkimmAmbassador, you get to attend fun (virtual, for now) events and get access to awesome new materials and some “Skimm Swag”!

If you sign up for theSkimm, be sure to use this link: https://www.theskimm.com/?r=ca82b0ee:

“Hey Her Campus readers!

I thought you’d really enjoy theSkimm (if you don’t already). It’s a quick, easy, and entertaining way to know what’s going on in the world. I read it every morning and thought you’d like it!

HCXO,

Allie”

But don’t stop sharing your link from there; it’s great to share the knowledge of theSkimm! If you read theSkimm, let us know your favorite parts about the newsletter by reaching out to us!

Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.
We are Her Campus St. Law U.