Theme Houses Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

As Theme houses close out accepting applications this upcoming week, we thought it would be fun to highlight the houses we have on campus. Theme houses are very unique to St. Lawrence and they add a great component in bringing our campus together. Here are the houses on campus and a little description of what they do. Each theme house has a purpose on campus to bring the community together, take advantage of what they have to offer you even if you’re not interested in living in the house!

The Outing Club

The “OC” is the oldest theme house on campus. Members of the house lead trips every weekend to fun outdoor adventures! They also host a halloween party, Titus, and Wet Hot. Every year they host Peek Weekend putting a slu student on top of all 48 Adirondack Peaks.

The Dub

The Dub raises awareness on gender issues both on and off campus. Each member of the house is a trained advocate. The dub hosts “Take Back the Night” every year where slu students can hear about sexual assault stories from their peers. Additionally, every week Dub club takes place in the house where people can have an open conversation about the topic chosen that week. They also give out free condoms!

The L.I.G.H.T House

The L.I.G.H.T house in a group of students who stand to promote healthy living. They host yoga classes 6 days a week and “Zen Den” meditations sessions on wednesdays at 8.

The Hub

The Hub has a passion of electronic entertainment and gaming. They host a haunted house every year. The hub is reclaiming nerd culture as we all have a bit of nerdiness in us.

The Greenhouse

The Greenhouse hosts dinners every week night and you can sign up to attend once a month on a Tuesday!

“Students in the Greenhouse live in an environmentally responsible manner. Residents sponsor composting and an energy conservation competition among the cottages in addition to several educational programs throughout the semester.”

Commons College

Commons is a group of fun students who get to take a course on a decided topic each semester. They are able to converse about the course and take it outside of the classroom by all living in a house together.

Java house

The java house is the source of all of our entertainment. They bring all the live bands to campus in the Java barn and make sure the whole night run smoothly. The house has a group of awesome people passionate about music!

The Art Annex

The Art annex hosts jams and open mic nights. They cultivate art culture on our campus and provide a space for all of the Slu Artists.

The Black Student Union

The BSU helps to promote black history month. They are responsible for the helping to promote ad cultivate black culture across our campus

Artist Guild

The Artists’ Guild is a theme house where students can share their interests of both local and student art. Students can collaborate and work on their own art projects as well as interact with professional artists in the St. Lawrence County. Additionally, students living in the Artists’ Guild coordinate many campus events including the Festival of the Arts, poetry slams, and a foreign film festival.

Casa Latina

Casa Latina’s mission is to create a supportive environment for students of Latina heritages while educating the campus on the culture’s customs, traditions, and issues that Latina people face. In order to fulfill their mission, Casa Latina has hosted Salsa, Meringue, and Baachata dance lessons.

Hope House

The Hope House stands for “Helping out People Everywhere.” They are involved in community service with Reading Buddies, Bittersweet Farms, and any community service activities they are involved in. 

Habitat for Humanity

The Habitat for Humanity Theme House helps raise money and find volunteers for building projects that the local HfH sponsors within the St. Lawrence Community. All residents are required to attend all of the weekly club meetings to help promote other students to become involved in the building projects. Ways in which this theme house have tried to raise money include Spaghetti Dinner fundraisers, a World Habitat Day Sleep-Out, and raffles at hockey and football games. Additionally, all residents are required to log a minimum of 25 community service hours each semester.

I am a sophomore at St. Lawrence University! I am a member of the lacrosse team, global studies major, and art minor. I have studied abroad in Kenya for a summer term, and am headed to South Africa next fall. I am originally from north of Boston, and spend my winters at Jay Peak, Vermont. I am also the youngest of my four siblings to study at SLU.