This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Given the social distancing aspect of the pandemic, it has become difficult to offer sympathetic gestures to strangers and/or friends. A common gesture I would offer to others was a simple smile while crossing paths on the sidewalk, dormitory hallways, etc. Since I was a kid, I have always found a passing smile to be a slight gesture of kindness to others. As we all have witnessed, the pandemic has tested our humanity and our ability to cope with the struggles occurring. Now, people need more than just a smile on the sidewalk to pick themselves up. 

Unfortunately, masks have taken away our ability to give a kind gesture to others through a smile. Masks are implemented to protect us, but they also restrict our ability as humans to use facial expressions to communicate with others. Wearing a mask and social distancing should be abided by and practiced, but there is still the ability for us to go to restaurants, grocery stores, etc., to have some sort of human interaction with others. When going to the restaurant, give your waiter/waitress a bigger tip. When going to the grocery store, compliment others on their shoes or shirt. Gestures like these are more than what we, as humans, would usually do for strangers. However, kind gestures can go a long way because you really never know what people are going through behind closed doors, especially during this horrid pandemic.

Smiles will come back sooner rather than later. Hopefully, soon, I will be able to practice my habitual smiles to people I see on the sidewalks or in the hallways of the dormitory. Be kind, wear a mask, and don’t forget that we will get through this pandemic together.

Be sure to share the HCXO love this week, and follow us!

Claudia Fradette

St. Law U '21

Hi, I'm Claudia and I am currently the Senior Editor for St. Law U's Her Campus chapter! I'm from Syracuse, NY and I am majoring in Government and minoring in English at St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY. 
We are Her Campus St. Law U.