This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

My grandparents, Ed Attarian and Mary Lou (Cole) Attarian, graduated from St. Lawrence University in 1952. Although they both graduated with a Bachelor’s of Science, my grandfather declared a Pre-Med major and my grandmother declared a Biology major. They were involved in Greek Life. My grandfather was a member of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity and my grandmother was a member and officer of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. In addition to greek life, they were highly involved in the St. Lawrence community. My grandfather was elected President of his Sophomore Class, a member of Campus Counsel, a member of Orientation Council and was named to “Who’s Who.” At Moving Up Day in Spring of 1951, he was a “Tappee,” one who is “tapped” a member of Kixioc, an honorary society at SLU which recognized its outstanding upper-class students. My grandmother was involved with JV Basketball, cheerleading, the Orientation Council and, during her senior year, she was crowned Queen of the Alpha Ball.

They have both since passed away, but I was able to get the previously mentioned and the following information about how they met from my Dad, Mark (‘80). “During their first year, they met through mutual friends. At the time, Grandpa was dating Grandma’s roommate, but always had his eyes on your Grandma. Grandma had a hometown boyfriend, but that relationship faded quickly. They started dating during the second half of their Freshman year, then separated for two years when Grandpa left for medical school in 1951. After graduation, June 1952, Grandma taught biology at Allegheny College. During the fall of 1952, Grandpa proposed. They were married the following summer. Seven and a half months later, six to seven weeks premature, your uncle David was born. Approximately four years later, I was born.”

My dad also has a special SLU love story connection of his own. He majored in English and graduated with a Bachelor’s of Arts. He lived in Sykes Hall during his First and Junior year. He was a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity through which he met Roger Brandt (‘80), who would later be his roommate and life long friend. Through Roger, he met my mom, Sherrill, who was Roger’s wife’s roommate at the University of New Hampshire.  The rest is history.

I am a third-generation Saint who proudly wears her grandfather’s collegiate sweatshirt and her grandmother’s college ring in honor of their memories.

Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.
.