St. Lawrence County downtown
St. Lawrence County downtown
Photo by Kelsea Whittier

Shop Local: My Favorite Canton Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

COVID-19 hit the North Country businesses hard, but now with students back on campus, slowly these local shops are recovering. Here are some of my favorite places to get retail therapy and feel great about supporting local businesses.

Grasse River Outfitters

Website!

This outdoor apparel and bike repair shop is located right on Main Street in Canton. GRO offers many local products as well as name-brand equipment. It is the perfect place to gear up for your next North Country adventure. Recently, the shop has started to carry a full line of men’s and women’s Patagonia clothing, so stop in to stay cozy and cute this fall. Other popular brands at Grasse River Outfitters include Nalgene water bottles, Osprey backpacks, and Darn Tough socks. The shop also repairs and services bikes, so if you are looking for a tune-up, contact GRO. You can always count on Grasse River Outfitters to find a new cute Patagonia item or the perfect accessory for your outdoor adventure.

LUNA

Website!

LUNA Boutique is located on Park Street, in Canton, just a short walk from campus! This clothing boutique focuses on helping the customer find their perfect outfit. Stop in at LUNA to find some cute transition-to-fall clothes and experience the exceptional customer service they offer. New to LUNA is the “LUNA Lookbox” for customers around the globe. Owner and stylist Hailey will hand-select a perfect box of clothes based on your answers to a style quiz. You will then be shipped the perfect assortment of outfits for the season, all while knowing it was made just for you. You can count on LUNA for a personalized shopping experience and find the most trendy and stylish outfits.

Nature’s Storehouse

Website!

Nature’s Storehouse is a local and organic health market. This family-run business carries many vegan and vegetarian substitutes as well as healthier alternatives to the main-stream processed foods. Nature’s also has a wide variety of vitamins and supplements and often carries in-season local produce. The store always has to-go vegetarian soup and local coffee. Stop into Nature’s Storehouse to stock up on some yummy and healthy snacks. They also have an ever-changing line of products so it’s fun to shop around to try all of the new items. Nature’s Storehouse on Main Street is the perfect stop to satisfy your cravings and find delicious alternatives to everyday “junk food.”

The Celtic Knot

Website!

The Celtic Knot is a yarn, fabric, and crafting store right on Main Street in Canton. Here, you can find lots of fun embroidery floss for friendship bracelets or pick out materials to make your own masks. They carry a wide variety of yarn and fabric for all crafters and also offer classes on beginner knitting. The cozy atmosphere and great customer service combine for a perfect afternoon outing to stock up for your next DIY project. The Celtic Knot is sure to have something to get your creative juices flowing and inspire the inner DIY-er in all of us. ​

Here are just a few of the many fun, local stores in Canton, NY. These stores in particular are small family-run operations and are very appreciative of students’ business. Take time to explore the other businesses on Main Street and around town because the list of fun shops is endless. Maybe after a day of shopping small, try to check out some of the delicious family restaurants in Canton too!

Disclaimer: Her Campus at St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article.

Did you enjoy this article? Be sure to check out more of our articles and our socials! Are you interested in joining? Be sure to reach out to us on our platforms or fill out the sign-up link.

LINKS HERE: https://linktr.ee/hcstlawu

Kelsea Whittier

St. Law U '24

Hi! I'm Kelsea Whittier, class of 2024 at St. Lawrence University, and I am a Mathematics major. I love exercising (especially golfing), being outside, crafting, and spending time with family and friends.
Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.