The Pros and Cons of Having a Car on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

PRO: You can drive where you want to, when you want to (grocery shopping, tanning/getting nails done, eating off campus, going home for the weekend, etc).

CON: Gas can add up.

PRO: Parking is close and convenient to the dorms.

CON: Careful where you park, because parking permits and tickets can also be costly.

PRO: Sober driving your friends around is easy.

CON: People will ask you for rides (or to borrow your car) a lot…be clear with yourself and others about how often you want to do so.

PRO: You can use your car for extra storage when your dorm room gets too cramped.

CON: The incessant snow in winter months can be tough to deal with.

PRO: Driving home is easier and less stressful than trying to find a ride.

CON: Not many options for car repair.

PRO: Road trips are made easy (Syracuse, Lake Placid, and Montreal are all within driving distance)!

Ultimately, it is up to you (and/or your parents) to weigh the benefits and downfalls of having your own car on campus. Overall, at SLU a car is not an absolute necessity, given that everything one needs to get by is provided here on campus!

Hi! I am Colby Hoffman, a Boston-born Campus Correspondent at St. Lawrence University located in Canton, New York. I am in the Class of 2020 and am pursuing a major in Communications with a minor in Sociology. Aside from running our chapter, I am also a member of the Women's Lacrosse Team, a content strategist on the University's Social Media Team, the Alumni Relations Chair of Delta Delta Delta Sorority, and an Ambassador & Tour Guide in our Admissions Office! In my free time, I enjoy going for walks around our beautiful campus, hanging out with friends over good food, researching travel destinations, and drinking iced coffee.