Aubree Brabham?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Aubree Brabham?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Post-Election Reflection While Being On a College Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Here I am, sitting in my college dorm room simultaneously watching the news, listening to podcasts, writing an article, and biting my nails with angst. The events of last night, 11/3, were a mixture of shock and presumptions. To which I mean, I felt neither surprised nor content with the unknown of the evening. I wanted to share with the Her Campus community some of the things I have been doing to keep myself from going crazy today.

It has certainly been difficult to stay informed as a college student. However, I am encouraged by all of the voter turnout and awareness that my college, St. Lawrence University, has present on the campus. I believe that some of the reasons for this may be the political thought that has gone into our education. We find ourselves in an age where politics and government swarm the media. Quite frankly, it is impossible to be entirely uninformed.

In the months coming up to the election, I thought it important to stay informed with political trends and campaigns. Now I am here, completely unaware of what will happen in the coming hours. Despite this, there are a few things I have been doing to stay informed. 

The first is listening to podcasts. In previous articles, I have mentioned my addiction to podcasts but I wanted to share a few more that I find very relevant today. 

1. The Daily. Time and time again I recommend this podcast by the NYT. It is engaging, dependable, and easy to understand. Throughout the months leading up to the election they have covered more than politics, they covered people and their stories.

2. The NPR Politics Podcast. NPR produces an amazing politics podcast with short episodes and varying hosts. The podcast has done an amazing job covering the ground of each candidate and what it will take to win.

Writing about politics on a day where it seems the future depends on a few thousand votes in Michigan and Wisconson is terrifying. However, it seems like the community of college women are here to hear each other and support whatever we have to say to understand this race. Don’t forget to breathe and in the coming days. It is important to take care of yourself and give yourself time to process any result that comes through. Good luck and happy election (week).

Disclaimer: Her Campus at St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article.

Be sure to check out our social media platforms here!

Hi, my name is Lily and I am a Biology major at St. Lawrence University. On-campus I work in the biology lab and as an admissions ambassador. Outside of classes I enjoy staying active outside, listening to podcasts, and spending time with close friends.
Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.