Phoebe Suva: Dub Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

The Women’s Resource Center: 3 University Ave

1. Where are you from?

Portland, Maine

2. What’s the best choice you’ve made at SLU?

I think one of the best choices that I’ve made at SLU was deciding to speak at the event “Take Back the Night” for the first time my junior year.

3. What exactly is the Dub?  

The Women’s Resource Center Theme House! All members of the Dub, as well as the ladies who live in the house, are trained seuxal assault advocates. The Dub’s purpose is to create a safe space on campus, but to also raise awareness of gender issues at SLU through the education of our community’s members on topics such as safe sex practices and positive body image.

4. What is it like living in the Dub?

Living in The Dub is amazing! I love being able to live in a house with these women. It’s such an empowering feeling to be surrounded by such passionate and caring people.

5. Can you describe what “Dub Club” is?

Dub Club is held on Mondays at 8 p.m, and each night has an overarching theme for a topic of discussion. For example, we talked about the “Hookup Culture” that is present on SLU’s campus. Dub Club is held right in our own living room and is open to anyone who is interested!

6. What would you say is your favorite event that the Dub holds?

It is definitely a tie between “Topless Spaghetti Night” and “Take Back the Night.” “Topless Spaghetti Night” is a night where we cover all of the windows and invite all women on campus to come over and eat spaghetti topless. The Dub is a fun and a silly space for women to feel comfortable with their bodies and we think that this is necessary to have on a college campus, especially because we all live in a society that tells women what their bodies should look like or that they should be ashamed of them in some way. With that same mindset, “Take Back the Night” is another one of my favorite events. Although it is focused on an extremely serious and heavy topic, I think that it’s of exceeding importance to have a place where survivors are able to share their stories and to be acknowledged, and therefore they can feel empowered from their experiences and believed in by others.

7. Is there anything that people don’t know about the Dub and should?

We provide free condoms to anyone on campus, and we also have coupons for Plan B that you can come and take! If you are ever in the area or would love to talk, come on into the Dub!!