This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

If you have been on Netflix’s main page for the last couple of weeks, you’ve probably seen a new show called “Too Hot To Handle”. When I first saw the series’s cover photo/collage on my main page, I was appalled and told myself that I would never invest my time in a show like that. But, when I watched the preview, I was intrigued by the concept of the show. At its surface, this show is about a group of people who are “stuck” in paradise together to have the best time of their lives. Until Lana announces herself, that is.

Lana is a cone-shaped robot that will remind you of Amazon’s Alexa who “spoils” their month of fun in paradise. She announces that there is a $100,000 prize at the end of their time being there; however there is a catch: nobody can engage in sexual interactions, both collectively and individually. Once someone or a group of people breaks the rule, a select amount of the money is deducted; and, the amount that is deducted depends on the type of interaction, but they are unaware of how severe that deduction is. Furthermore, Lana is everywhere and spills the tea whenever the rule is broken.

This may not be the most educational series you’ll come across, but if you enjoy The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Bachelor in Paradise, or Love Island, this show is perfect for you! Better yet, if you watch with a group of friends using Netflix Party [the Chrome Extention app], it will feel as if you are back together with our besties.

Here are the reasons [not in any particular order] as to why I love Too Hot To Handle and you could too!

The Contestants

It goes without saying that the producers had very specific standards for their cast members to meet.  However, my only critique is that I want to see a more diverse cast next season (if there even is a subsequent season). From London to Ireland to Australia to America, the contestants sure represent different nationalities and completely different continents.

Background Music

Sometimes, the background music for reality television shows are the bain of my existence; however, Too Hot to Handle pulls through with some great songs that give you those upbeat vibes. While the Spotify playlist is hyperlinked here, I recommend watching the show for the best experience as the songs are oftentimes strategically matched with certain situations; this definitely brings comedic value to the show.

The Narrator

Everything that the narrator, Desiree Burch, says is essentially what we are all thinking. The narrator is undoubtedly another source of comedic value and will remind you of Kristen Bell’s role in Gossip Girl. Her voice initially may come off annoying, but the side comments and the sarcastic comments that she makes are worth it.

The Personal Growth and Group Bonding Workshops

While this show’s overall challenge is to avoid engaging sexually with other people, this show has a deeper meaning: to learn how to develop and maintain emotional relationships, as well as find and maintain self-love. The workshops that the contestants go through are eye-opening as they allow the females to feel empowered and allow the men to show feelings. Collectively, they are breaking down walls and see each other in a more positive light.

The Relationships (Platonic and Romantic)

While there are the classic moments of jealousy and stubbornness, this show certainly opened doors for new friendships to develop between some of the contestants; and, of course, we cannot forget the romantic relationships that were formed. While I will not provide spoilers, there is never a dull moment in this series as we watch them grow through the aforementioned workshops.

The Funny Individual Moments

Think about the individual moments such as the ones seen in The Office, Bachelor, Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise, etc. Now, include the narrator’s input and the combination of this going to make you laugh out loud.

The Concept Is an Oxymoron!

If you think about it, this show has been released at the perfect time. This show is essentially the social version of social distancing! The contestants are thrown together in isolation but are encouraged to avoid any contact with other people. How ironic! [Note: This was filmed in 2019, so nothing to worry about here!]

What are your thoughts on the show? Let us know by DM’ing us on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook!

Disclaimer: Her Campus St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article.

Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.