Wellness

Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle in Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

With the start of a new semester (and year), we are entering the perfect time to set new goals for a healthy lifestyle. Whether you want to get active, eat healthy, or are simply looking for something to do during quarantine, here are some ways to maintain healthy living from inside the “q”!

Youtube Workouts

I have been super into YouTube workouts recently. There is a wide variety online ranging anywhere from HIIT, cardio sculpt, dance cardio, abs, etc., and it is all free! They are perfect for quarantine because all you need is a little bit of space. My favorite account that I subscribe to is Popsugar Fitness – this account has many different kinds of workouts that can fit whatever mood you are in. No matter what your level of fitness may be, there is always something for you!

Drink More Water

This past year I increased the amount of water I drank every day and noticed a major difference in the way I felt. Staying hydrated is super important and makes me feel much more energized and happy. This habit also helped me stop aimlessly snacking because I was filling my body with water between meals. Having a good water bottle is crucial to drink more water – I’ve found it motivates me to display it on my desk and continuously sip. Personally, I believe spending money on a nice water bottle that you will love is a good investment.

Walks Outside 

It is essential to get fresh air and keep your blood flowing. With the amount of sitting we do at a desk in front of a computer screen, we need to find ways to keep our bodies moving. With a mask on, outdoor walks are a simple way to enjoy the Canton winter and take a break from work. Find a friend within your family unit to enjoy a nice stroll with!

Drink Clean Alcohol (For Ages 21+)

If you are of age and enjoy drinking an alcoholic beverage every now and then, it is important to be mindful of the content you are putting into your body. It is so easy to get caught up in sugary, high-calorie drinks, but also is super simple to drink healthier and cleaner. Processed, high sugar drinks are more likely to make you feel hungover, so it is better to steer clear of these products. I recently tried Scout & Cellar, which sells wine online and delivers directly to you. It is clean crafted, which means there is no added sugar, no added chemicals, no synthetic pesticides, low sulfites, and organic. It is perfect for quarantine because you do not need to leave your house to purchase it. I have 100% noticed a difference in the way I feel the day after drinking and really enjoy the way it tastes. I would definitely recommend checking it out!

Put Your Phone Down

With the amount of time we spend on a computer screen for work, school, etc., it is important to step away from technology and let your eyes relax. I try and avoid checking my phone right when I wake up to get in the right mindset for the day ahead. Reading books, playing cards, doing a workout, cleaning out your closet, or writing in a journal are all great ways to detox from your phone.

Even though you might be quarantining, there are many ways to still maintain a healthy lifestyle. Make sure you focus on your mental health and put yourself first because it is easy to fall into bad habits when you are stuck indoors. Try these five tips for staying healthy and happy during your time in quarantine!

Connect with us on social media!

Beth Heffernan

St. Law U '21

I am the Social Media Director for Her Campus St Law u and a senior at St. Lawrence University. I am double majoring in Business and Communications!
We are Her Campus St. Law U.