This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

It is no secret that this pandemic has made connecting with loved ones difficult and has put a strain on our hearts. In the past year, we have been stripped of frequent human interaction and the ability to see some of the people we usually did see every day. Around the world, people have found different ways of linking together; whether it is singing from apartment windows, Facetimes, or large signs outside homes, we have all gone to great lengths to show love and understanding. Love is the strongest human connection that we have; it comes easily for most with relatives seen often, and then with those you meet throughout life. Everyone has someone, no matter if they believe it or not. 

This Valentine’s Day will be a difficult one for many of us. For me, I am stuck in Phase 2 here at St. Lawrence, unable to see my parents, who are just two hours away, or my boyfriend, who now lives 1,859 miles away. No matter what one’s situation is, we must bind together to create a most memorable holiday about connecting and love. Whether it be those in your dorm, your roommate, your neighbor, that random girl whose boots you loved the other day, consider sending them chocolate or just reflecting on a happy time you had with them. Always remember you have someone there to talk to; no matter if you think they are willing or not, just reach out. Showing appreciation for one another when we have been stuck in isolation is what will make everyone stronger. On a holiday that is all about being together and showing love, we must bring out the best in ourselves to show those who are a part of our lives that they matter to us. 

I want everyone who reads this article to take a second and think about one person who places a smile on your face. Now, send them a text message, or an email, or give them a call. Tell them they put a smile on your face because of that one great time you had together, or you appreciate how much support they give you in your everyday life. 

Here is mine: 

To my roommate, Josie, thank you for the silent support you give me from the moment we wake up. You have been a blessing to me and those who know you; no matter what happens day to day, I know you to be my best friend till death do us part. Love ya sis, here’s to many years more of dumb decisions.

Katie Reid

St. Law U '22

My name is Katie and I am a junior at St. Lawrence University! I am a Business and Environmental Studies double major with a minor in Economics and I am obsessed with my dog Tiller. I am a huge skier and raced for a good part of my life, I also love to hike and watch a ton of Netflix! I have a loud personality and am happiest with snow on the ground and iced coffee in hand!
We are Her Campus St. Law U.