A List of Things that Will Happen Before You Find Your Place in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

If there is one thing that all college students can agree on, it’s probably that you won’t find your place in college on your first day, probably not even in your first week or month for that matter. Fitting in takes time and, in most cases, it is a rather tedious process of trial and error. Having patience and keeping an open mind are key during your first few months away at college; don’t get frustrated if, at first, things don’t seem to go your way. Here is a helpful list, with input from current college girls, of things that will happen before you find your place in college.

• You’ll have moments where you feel lonely

This happens for everyone. Even if you’re surrounded by people, chances are you     don’t know anyone very well starting out. You’ll miss home and the people that you are comfortable spending all hours of the day with. In your first few days, you might find yourself standing alone in the Pub waiting for your takeout because there isn’t anyone you feel like you can just go sit down with…and who wants to sit at a table by themself? Try not to get caught in up in this occasional feeling of loneliness. Remember that it’s only passing, and you’re here to form new friendships! This will take time, and it’s okay to be by yourself sometimes- just make sure that it’s not all the time. Take a risk and put yourself out there with other people.

• You’ll get lost  

You may find yourself a little bit lost while trying to find a building during the first few days of classes; don’t stress too much about this. Luckily, SLU has a pretty small campus, and upperclassmen know it like the back of their hands. It’s not hard to find a friendly-looking face that you can ask to point you in the right direction. It won’t take long before you can get yourself from A to B with no trouble at all.

• You’ll form a routine for yourself

This is so beneficial when trying to find your place in college, but this is also where trial and error comes into play. You’ll figure out when is the best time to go to the gym so that you’re not lost in a sea of sweaty people fighting for a treadmill. You’ll soon learn what study times work best for you, and find your favorite secret study spot in ODY Library. You’ll probably go to meetings for clubs about things you know nothing about, but you’ll quickly figure out which ones you actually like. Forming a routine for yourself is also a good way to meet others, because you’ll find yourself surrounded by some like-minded people.

• You’ll have awkward interactions

Don’t be afraid of this because you don’t know many people well yet. It takes time to find things to talk about, and maybe you won’t know whether or not to say hi or to smile at that person who lives a floor below you that you met on the first day as you pass by them on the way to class. It’s okay to feel awkward, but don’t ever let it stop you from talking to people and being friendly towards them, because they are probably overthinking the situation just like you are.  

• You’ll call home a lot

In moments of panic, you’ll call home to your family or friends. When you’re questioning whether or not you should leave school due to homesickness, hearing their voices will make you think it is a good idea- but always let them talk you into staying. You’ll be glad that you did.

• You’ll wonder if your high school friends are doing better at college than you are

Spoiler Alert: they’re not. Everyone feels a little weird when they first come to college. It’s a HUGE life adjustment. You might find yourself wondering if they’re making friends faster than you are, or if they know their way around their campus before you’ve figured it out. Talking to them can be really helpful, because it helps to ensure that you are not alone.

• You’ll learn a lot about yourself

This is a very new experience that will help you learn so much about yourself, for it calls for much self reflection and thinking about what your true interests are. It’s probably been a long time since you’ve had to make new friends or try new things. Through this entire process, it’s okay to make mistakes and to feel lonely sometimes. In the long run, however, you’ll realize that you have discovered things about yourself that you never knew before. Finding your place in college is not always easy, and it can take time, but it is so worth it when you finally do.

Kayla is Junior at St. Lawrence University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She is a member of the Women's Lacrosse team on campus and is Vice President of Public Relations at Delta Delta Delta. She lives in Milbrook, NY where she is the 2nd oldest of four children and where her 4 doggies stay. Her role models include.. Amy Schumer. Kayla just recently got back from a semester abroad in Prague and is excited to pick up Chapter Coorespondent for Her Campus St. Law U once again!