Lily Barnard: Horsin’ Around on a Daily Basis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Lily Barnard, the former Athlete of the Week, is an inspiration to us all. During her last horse show, Lily won two of her classes and led the St. Lawrence Riding Team to a tie for first place. We wanted to recognize all of her hard work, success, and dedication to her sport during this weeks Profile:

When did you start riding?

I mounted a horse right out of the womb! Just kidding, I started riding when I was 4 years old.

What is your favorite competition to take part in?

The jumpers. It’s my favorite competition because of the adrenaline rush you get from going really fast on a 2,000 pound animal that could act out at any moment. Also because of the rush you get being up in the air.

What does it mean to you to be part of a team at St. Lawrence?

Riding is technically an individual sport, but it’s nice to be part of a team because we cheer for each other and it’s always nice to have their support. We also stick together, which helps when we literally have to pick up sh*t together.

What’s the most difficult thing about being a student athlete?

The amount of time that is dedicated to riding makes it hard to balance school work- we spend at least 4 hours a day at the barn!

Some people don’t consider riding a sport, so what would you say to these people and how does this affect the way it feels to be named athlete of the week?

It’s always something I’ve gotten in the past, but I’ve never let it phase me. It’s funny to joke about but when it comes down to it, riding takes as much effort and dedication as any sport, if not more. Therefore, it makes being named athlete of the week a lot more special to me.

GO SLU RIDING!