i voted sticker lot 1550340jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
i voted sticker lot 1550340jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels

The Importance of Voting as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

By now it’s probably been drilled into your brain that it’s important to vote this election. I’m here to remind you of some things that will hopefully help kick you in the butt to get to polling stations. They may be things you’ve already heard or things that you’ve never really thought of. Keep reading to see, but if I repeat something you’ve heard for the one-hundredth time, I apologize. One more reminder won’t hurt, right?

Privilege

Not to put a damper on the mood because voting is an exciting and grown up thing to do, but it also coincides with privilege. We are living in 2020. History has shown that many minority groups have been oppressed of their right to vote. Through many years of fighting for voting rights, minority groups were given the right to vote. Never forget or disregard this. Even some people today do not have the privilege because they are far from polling booths, have no transportation, etc. We, as college students, are given the luxury to simply go to a polling station or vote through an absentee ballot. Take advantage of your resources that are given on a silver platter!

Civil Duty

If you are to participate in anything for your country, please participate in voting. We are young adults that are starting to step into the real world. Voting should be a priority for us young adults. If you care about others and, more importantly, YOURSELF, then you should vote for a candidate that aligns with your beliefs. Voting not only affects you, but it affects people around you. Be cognizant. I love this country and I love this country so much that I will vote, I have a good feeling that you will do the same thing.

This May Just Be The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime!

The pressing issues we are facing as a country hits home more than you think it will. There are issues about climate change, health care, social justice, socio-economic justice, etc. The list goes on. I’d be here for a few hours if I were to continue. 

This is YOUR vote. Vote for what you believe in and don’t let anyone bully you into thinking otherwise. This election has clearly sparked tension amongst many people. Take a breath and be a mature young adult. If your friends and family have different beliefs than you, continue to love them. Don’t kick them to the curb because they don’t agree with you. In fact, take comfort in the fact that not everyone has the same beliefs. If we all thought the same we’d be a bunch of walking robots, and that’s a scary thing to think about considering what 2020 has given us. ​

Hope my blabbing was beneficial to you. Sometimes my words of wisdom do something for the better. In any case, if you didn’t get the picture already, VOTE! 

St. Lawrence’s Andrew Goodman Foundation is a wonderful organization that provides voting resources for students. Whether you need an absentee ballot for your state or registration to vote, the Foundation has the answers. The club members are incredible and are open to any questions and are willing to assist you if you need help with filling out any of the materials. Remember you must be eighteen to vote! Below I’ve provided the website of the SLU Andrew Goodman Foundation. Take a peek and look through dates for voting and other great material the website provides. Cheers!

https://andrewgoodman.org/myvoteeverywhere/st-lawrence-university/

Disclaimer: Her Campus at St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article.

Did you enjoy this article? Be sure to check out more of our articles and our socials! Are you interested in joining? Be sure to reach out to us on our platforms or fill out the sign-up link: https://linktr.ee/hcstlawu

Claudia Fradette

St. Law U '21

Hi, I'm Claudia and I am currently the Senior Editor for St. Law U's Her Campus chapter! I'm from Syracuse, NY and I am majoring in Government and minoring in English at St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY. 
Allison ("Allie") Attarian studied Psychology and Communications at St. Lawrence University where she was a Campus Correspondent for HC St. Law U. Allie was also a Campus Community Management Intern for the Community Team at Her Campus Media. Her combined passion for creativity, reading, and writing sparked her interest in joining Her Campus. She loves traveling, listening to music, creating visual art, and spending time with friends. Check out her personal blog here.