Style

Ideas On How to Decorate Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

From returning to first-year students, decorating a college dorm room can be an ordeal; yet, it is also a great outlet to express yourself and style a room that may be entirely different from your room at home. Here are some ideas on how to decorate a college dorm room, websites that offer dorm room essentials, and some advice on how to customize your new home for the next few months!

First things first: Bedding

When you are away from home there are some things you long for, like a cozy bed, so here are some websites that sell cute and comfy bedding. Also, the typical college bed is a twin mattress so keep in mind that the bedding you will want to purchase will be in a size Twin or Twin XL.

1. Anthropology – This brand offers great bedding for a more bohemian style. 

2. PB Teen – This subdivision of Pottery Barn is catered towards the high school and college age group and has cute bedding and some great going back to school sales. 

3. Urban Outfitters – Urban has super cozy bedding and pillows that tend to be more geometric or solid colors. 

Secondly: Wall Art & Decor

It is totally up to the student on how they decide to decorate their walls; for example, some students cover their wall with pictures printed at CVS (or someplace like that), others do a mix of pictures and posters, some decorated with tapestries, and some put up flags. Whichever way you decide to decorate your walls, here are a few places and items that could make your dorm room unique to you!

Posters – From vintage band posters to old Vogue covers the following websites are great options for finding some posters that fit you the best

1. Society6 –  This website has not only a wide variety of posters but also great artwork and prints that could brighten any generic dorm room.

2. Etsy – Etsy has a huge inventory of any type of wall art one could imagine, along with other dorm room essentials.

3. All Posters – Finally, All Poster literally offers an incredible range of poster that will guarantee to cater towards anyone’s style.

Removable Wallpaper – Although this might sound odd, wallpaper could serve as a great way to cover up the yucky dorm room walls, or at least a section of them, and would set your dorm room apart from many others. Urban Outfitters sells some removable wallpaper that is, although pretty pricey, very unique and stylish.

String Lights – These lights can be found at any Walmart or store alike to this and are guaranteed to brighten up a room. In addition, these can serve as great dim lighting compared to the harsh center light dorm rooms come with.

Tapestries – Although some dorms call this form of wall art a fire hazard, for the ones that don’t tapestries are great materials to cover an entire wall or wall section easily. Again, Urban Outfitters has some great tapestries as many other websites do.

Finally: Organization & Storage

A typical problem college students have is that the furniture their dorm room offers just doesn’t cut it to hold all the materials they brought to college; therefore many students use the room under their bed for storage. Here are some places that offer materials to keep your college dorm room organized:

1. Storage Bins – these bins can be found anywhere from Amazon to Walmart and are very helpful in storing anything from clothing to shoes to textbooks under a bed. These are definitely essential in order to have an organized under-bed area.

2. Makeup Organizers – this can be found at the Container Store or a local Home Goods or TJ MAXX. Makeup organizers is a great way to organize one’s makeup and have it showcased in a cute way.

3. Earring & Jewelry Holders – alike to makeup organizers, earring holders are another way to organize your jewelry in style.

Overall, hopefully, these websites and tips help others in decorating their college dorm room!

Katie Leffel

St. Law U '21

Hi! My name is Katie Leffel and I am a sophomore and Campus Correspondent for St. Lawrence University, situated in Canton, New York. I am furthering my interests and pursuing double major in Business in the Liberal Arts and Economics as well as a minor in Film Studies. In addition, I am from Connecticut and my interest include fashion, art, exersize, and the great outdoors!