How Times Have Changed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

After an unforgettable second parent’s weekend for me and my family here at SLU, I asked my mom (Laurie Smith ‘81) what the biggest changes have been in the school since her glory days at St. Lawrence. Here is what she said:

1. My mom and I have definitely noticed a difference in the lingo. For example, I live in Dean, but my mom refuses to call it anything besides Dean Eaton. Also, she will only call the Tick Tock ‘the Tock’ no matter how many times I explain to her that it is now called ‘the Ticker.’

2. Nowadays there are so many good restaurants to take your parents to eat. They are often so popular during parent’s weekend in fact, that reservations must be made months in advance. However, according to my mom this was not the case when she went here and there weren’t many places to eat that weren’t chains.

3. Even though the football team had an away game this year, I remember the highlight of parent’s weekend last year was the tailgate for the football game in which they crushed the other team. My mom was in shock because she doesn’t even remember going to one football game during her time at SLU.

4. According to my mom, they had more bar options like Journey’s End for live music, or the Inside Track for disco. Even though we only have the Tick Tock and the Hoot, parents still have so much fun!

5. Lastly, the biggest change is that there were no cell phones or computers so they didn’t see their parents for months at a time, whereas I FaceTime mine almost everyday!