dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make Long Distance Relationships Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Among college campuses, long distance relationships seem to be less common. Whether this is because many relationships that start before college don’t seem to last or that long distance relationships are hard work when you’re both on different schedules, these relationships are rarely seen among college students. But being in a long distance relationship is not bad. For some people the distance is well worth the relationship. Having been in a long distance relationship for almost three years now, I understand the ups and downs of these relationships. Here’s some tips I’ve found that help:

Communicate:

Communication is probably the most common advice people hear, but honestly it’s some of the best advice that can be given. Setting up times to facetime is a great idea to stay connected. Also calling each other periodically throughout the day can make the distance feel closer. Remember though, enjoy your own experiences. As much as communicating with your significant other helps bridge the distance, constantly talking to each other takes away from your own experiences, which are important to help you grow as a person and get the most out of college.

Understand your different schedules:

As much as you’d like to talk with your partner whenever you want, most likely you both have different schedules, especially in college. Understand these and don’t get frustrated when the other person can’t talk or give you the attention you need right at the exact moment you want it. Long distance relationships can work, you just have to understand the differences in schedules.

Trust each other:

As corny as it sounds, trust is important. If there is no fundamental trust, any relationship will start to crack. In a long distance relationship, you have to trust that your partner is faithful to you and believes in the relationship. Don’t get jealous over the little things and don’t restrict your partner from enjoying their experience where they are. Your relationship will be stronger with trust.

Stay Positive:

Negativity can lead to the breakdown of a relationship. Long distance relationships will be hard. One of your best friends, if not your best friend, is not by your side daily. You can call and FaceTime, but long distance will still have its moments of loneliness. The best thing you can do in these moments of doubt, is be positive about your relationship.

Talk when you have issues:

Issues don’t resolve themselves. If there is an issue or a topic you feel you need to talk about with your partner, don’t hide it or push it into the background. Bring it up. In most cases after talking it through with your partner, you’ll feel better about the situation or topic that was nagging at you.

Compromise:

Not everything in a long distance relationship will be perfect. There will be the ups and downs and the occasions where one person wants something different than the other. Make compromises. Even out the work in the relationship. No one side should feel like they are putting in more effort than the other half. Without compromise, a relationship would not last long. If your partner is worth it and someone you want in your life, compromise is key.

(Photos: Odyssey, WordPress, News Patrolling, Skinner Auctioneers, Shutterstock, Reddit)