How to Experience Montrèal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Admit it; you love the North Country, but a part of you is longing for an escape. Maybe you miss the hustle of the city or you want an excuse to break in your new stilettos, or maybe you’re just dying for some good sushi and a *legal* gin and tonic at an upscale bar. If this sounds at all like you, then not to worry. What you need is a quick weekend getaway, and lucky for you the great Canadian city of Montreal is just a two hour drive away.

Bienvenue à Montréal!!

Where to Eat

Breakfast

When it comes to breakfast, there is no shortage of restaurant options in and around the city. If you want savory menu choices, then you can enjoy classic dishes like eggs benedict from Leméac, Boccacino’s, or the Griffin Town Café. On the other hand, if you have a sweet tooth, you can check out Cocoa 70 or Juliette et Chocolat for the most decadent chocolate-covered waffles and crêpes. Lastly, Montreal is pretty famous for its bagels, which are incredible- especially with smoked salmon!

Lunch

At the moment, everyone is obsessed with Mandy’s, a gourmet salad restaurant that has just opened a second location downtown on Crescent street. If you want a deliciously healthy (and instagram-worthy) lunch, then Mandy’s is the place to go. Plus, if you are there in the fall or spring, you can sit outside on the térasse for some people watching!

Dinner

For dinner, put on something cute and head over to L’Gros Luxe in Griffin’s Town, where you can order a “Bloody Caesar” garnished with miniature hamburgers and chicken nuggets! If you want to cheer on the Habs games and have a burger, try M:BRGR on Drummond street and make sure to order “the big cookie” for dessert. Other favourites include Térrasse Nelligan (gorgeous views!), La Champagnerie, Grinder, Deville, Mangiafoco, and Les Enfants Terribles (the PVM location). If you are looking for something a little dressier, try Beatrice.

Where to Drink (Legal drinking age is 18, always be safe about it!)

One of the biggest differences between Canada and the U.S is the drinking culture. Montreal has a very casual, European approach to drinking as the legal age is 18.

Crescent Street

Crescent Street has a reputation for being a bit touristy, but its location downtown is definitely a great place to go for a drink before a concert or hockey game. If it’s a Tuesday night, head over to Winnie’s (Sir Winston Churchill) for ‘Ladies’ Night,’ or go into Club XO for $1 shots. If it’s a nice night, you can go to Newton and enjoy a vodka soda on their rooftop térrasse, or you can just spend the night bar-hopping. Either way, you are guaranteed to run into tons of promoters who can get you free drinks or an escape from any lines!

St-Laurent

St-Laurent is where you’ll find the best clubs. It’s a very artsy part of town right next to the McGill ghetto (where the McGill students live), so there are tons of young people and a really great vibe. If it’s a busy weekend and you are with a group, you may want to call ahead to book a table/bottle service/get on a guest list so that you can skip the lines.

You can’t go wrong with starting your night at Suwu. Though it’s small, the drinks are delicious and the music is great. From there, you should go to Pinq Taco, Apartment 200, Tokyo (if it’s a Thursday), Buonanotte, Le Mal Nécessaire, or École Privée (where you will need to take a pic in front of the naked lady wall). As your night starts to wind down, stop by the noodle window for $2 chow mein before hopping into your Uber and heading home.

Entertainment

Ice Hockey

If you are in town on a day when the Montreal Canadians have a home game, I would highly recommend getting tickets. Hockey is like a religion in Canada and a huge part of the culture; the Montreal Canadiens, also called the Habs, are a citywide obsession. Dress up in “bleu-blanc-rouge” and get ready to cheer on fan favorites such as Carey Price and Brendan Gallagher while listening to French covers of pop songs #gohabsgo.

Concerts

If you like music, Montreal is a great concert destination. Check and see if your favorite artists are playing at the Bell Centre, or if you are into more Indie style music, see who is performing at smaller venues like L’Olympia and Métropolis. You should also check out New City Gas to see if your favorite DJ is in town.  

What to Do During the Day

Shopping

Most of your shopping can be done downtown on Rue Ste-Catherine, where you’ll find stores like Urban Outfitters, Aritzia, Victoria’s Secret, Brandy Melville, H&M, Topshop, Zara, and more!

If you’re looking for something a little more high-end, you can check out Ogilvy’s or Holt Renfrew and even grab a bite at the Holt’s Café before popping over to the Musée des Beaux Arts across the street.

If you prefer shopping at boutiques, you should go to Editorial or head to Westmount and visit James or Premium, or even go down to Old Montreal and check out the fancy little boutiques there.

The Lookout

Montreal is an island, and in the centre of the island is Mont Royal, which is a small mountain where you can enjoy walking, running, or cross-country skiing on the trails through the woods. The best part of the mountain is the lookout, which provides a beautiful panoramic view of downtown. If nature walks aren’t really your thing, don’t worry! You can drive most of the way up.

The Canal

The Lachine canal runs through Montreal and is surrounded by a beautiful path and park. It is the perfect place for a scenic run or to rent a bike or a boat. If it’s a nice day, grab a Bixi Bike from the Old Port and bike to the Atwater Market to buy food for a picnic!

Old Montreal

Entering the Old Montreal and Old Port area will make you feel like you are stepping onto the streets of Paris. With the cobblestone and the beautiful French architecture, you’ll completely forget that you are only two hours away from Canton. During your visit to Old Montreal, you can see the Notre-Dame Basilica on Place d’Armes square, take a horse and carriage ride to view all the sites, or simply wander and allow yourself to stumble upon little boutiques that sell just about everything including designer handbags, stationary, healthy foods, and home decor. And when you decide that you’re in need of a caffeine fix after all of your daily activity, make sure you stop by Café Tommy.

Bota Bota

If you are super stressed out from the semester, try spending an afternoon at Bota Bota, a floating spa in the Old Port. Have a glass of wine and enjoy the water circuit, massages, mani-pedis, facials, specialty treatments, and the beautiful view!

Amuse-toi bien!!