samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Best Prepare for an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

As many of us are trying to secure an internship or job for the summer, it is crucial to know the tips and tricks of preparing for in interview in order to nail it and insure a good outcome.

Here are some of my bets tips for how to prepare for the big day!

1. Research the company: In almost every interview, the question “why us?” will be asked. Whether you are extremely passionate about a company or know nothing about it, it is crucial to research it before the interview. It looks great to employers to see you are educated on the company before applying; know the mission, when it was founded, some of reasons they stand out from other companies, and how you as an intern can help.

2. Know your role: If you’re applying for an internship or job with a company, research the role. Often, in the job description on the platform you apply from, there will be a role description, and from that you can take the qualities they want and mesh them with your best qualities

3. Brainstorm potential questions you might be asked: Whether you have had an interview before, or this is your first, check out some questions online. If you’re applying for a marketing interview, for example, Google “marketing interview questions,” and specify if you are looking for intern or job based questions. Pro tip: make sure to be prepared for difficult questions – it is better to be over prepared than under-prepared!

4. Practice speaking out loud: Before the interview, practice your “elevator pitch.” This should be a short, 1-5 minute summary all about who you are, what you are involved in, and what you do on campus. Being able to talk confidently about yourself will help you seem prepared and knowledgeable.

5. Don’t just talk about what’s on your resume: Try to mention things you like to do that aren’t on your resume, such as volunteer experience, projects you’ve done, or school activities that don’t make the cut on your resume. This will show you are well-rounded and capable of handling commitment.

6. Find a connection: Make sure to check LinkedIn, Careershift, etc., to see if you have any connection to anyone from the company. For example, if you notice there is a St. Lawrence Alum working at the company you’re applying to, feel free to send them a professional, well-written, yet to the point email about how exactly they can help you and expressing your interest in the company.

7. Don’t expect a job offer: Go into the interview with an open mind, if you go into it with expectations, often that is what you’ll focus on and you won’t do as well in an interview.

8. Go to Career Services: St. Lawrence University is known for our excellent career services office. For more tips on preparing for an interview, check out everything career services provides. To read more about them, check out our article here.

Good luck!!

Kristen Phillips

St. Law U '20

Hi everyone! I'm Kristen! I am a Performance and Communications arts and Psychology double major, and plan to one day hold a career in the public relations field. On campus, some of my favorite things to do are get chai lattes at the bookstore, run the nearby trails, head into town for some kombucha, or hang out at my sorority house with my friends! 
.