“Haunted” Places In and Around Canton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

As Halloween approaches, the talk of paranormal activity around us increases as we indulge in horror movies and holiday traditions. Being a SLU student, I have compiled a list of interesting, “haunted” buildings around our community. If you find yourself brave enough to explore these places around the holiday, be sure to report back with any suspicious activity you might hear or see!

​Ogdensburg Public Library – Ogdnesbury, NY

Not far from campus, supposedly ghosts reside in Ogdensburg Public Library. Built in 1895, the rumor is that the ghost of former librarians can be found, though most experiences recorded with these ghosts are reported to be friendly.

Holcroft House Potsdam, NY

Located on the Clarkson University campus, it was built in 1822 and now houses the college’s Admissions Office and Welcome Center. The ghost that haunts this building is rumored to be the mother of the college’s founder, Elizabeth Clarkson. Students and employees have claimed to hear a woman’s cry, footsteps, moving furniture, and lights coming on by themselves as well as curtains opening by themselves.

The Hub Canton, NY

Right on the edge of campus, this building is rumored to be haunted by the daughter of a former President of SLU, John Stebbins Lee. In the 1970s, the house was visited by a ghost-hunting couple who reported a ghost in the butler’s pantry. SLU students– beware!

Satterlee Hall at SUNY Potsdam – Potsdam, NY

SUNY Potsdam, founded in 1816, is one of the oldest colleges in the United States. The local stories say that the first dean, Dr. Howard Satterlee, roams the floors of Satterlee Hall, shutting doors and turning the clock tower light on in the dark of the night. Those SUNY Potsdam students better be sure to not cause too much trouble and cross the dean!

Herring-Cole Hall Canton, NY

The historic building located right on St. Lawrence University campus is rumored to be haunted. It was SLU’s first library until a new one was built and now houses a quiet study space for students. The lore around campus is that when the darkness settles in each night, the eerie, haunted feeling arises in there. So if you find yourself walking around campus on the eve of Halloween, you may want to keep your distance unless you’re brave enough to venture through!

(Pictures: St. Lawrence University, Library Thing, Pinterest, Clarkson University)