A Guide to College Packing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

The summer weeks are flying by and it is almost time to face that undeniable task of packing. Whether you’re getting ready to leave home for the first time or are a returning student, the process of deciding what to bring, what to leave and how best to decipher one from the other can be difficult. Here are some ideas about how to survive the packing process!

Clothing

– If you don’t wear it at home, you won’t wear it at school!

– Think about quality not quantity; two pairs of jeans you love is much more useful than five pairs of jeans you don’t really like.

– Load up on socks, bras and underwear. The worst days are the ones when you have to do laundry simply for those items. 

Photo creds: Apartment Therapy

Room necessities

– Bring two pairs of sheets to make it easier to get those sheets washed knowing your bed can still be made before they come out of the dryer.

– Desk lamps are important and decoration lights are also cute and helpful.

– Don’t over do it with dorm decorations! At the end of the year, you are just going to have to take everything down.

– But also don’t leave your walls completely white! A few pictures to remind you of home, posters or tapestries to cover additional wall space and a cozy duvet or bed spread are simple ways to help make your new room feel like home.

Photo creds: Pinterest

Car Travel 

– Leave your things that are hanging at home on their hangers when you pack up. I like to cover them with the plastic slips they put on them at the dry cleaners. No unnecessary folding and unfolding!

– Pack dorm and desk things in plastic bins, and softer things like clothing and bedding into duffle bags. That way, the softer things can fit into the more awkward spaces in the car without trouble!

-Leave as little as possible loose in the car – it will just make the unpacking process more difficult when you arrive on campus.

Photo creds: Odyssey

Flying

– Focus on the essentials! Pack the things you can’t live without first and then go from there.

– Remember that you will be able to get dorm necessities at local stores once you arrive on campus.

– Spread it out over time. Each time you will be home you can bring home unwanted items and replace them with things you have decided you want with you at school.

– Consider shipping things that are too difficult to travel with or which you just don’t have room for while you’re traveling.

Photo creds: Parents.com

.