element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Getting Into The Christmas Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

From the time I can first remember, I have absolutely LOVED Christmas. For me, it’s not about the gifts and presents, but I love it because of the Christmas spirit. Some people say that Christmas spirit is “made-up” or “impossible to find,” but luckily I’m here to tell you that it’s not in only three simple ways!

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Christmas is the lights! my family decorates using white lights. I love the elegance and simplicity of white lights, but do not understand why people chose to use colored lights. At my house, we put lights on our two big trees found by the wrap-around porch near the front door. Then, we decorate our mantle using Rudolf the Reindeer stuffed animals intertwined with white lights. Then we put tall candles in each window that light up the whole house from the outside. The best part about it getting dark at 4:00 P.M. is that people turn on their lights earlier! I love driving in my town’s neighborhoods to see all of the bright lights, fun blow up animals, wreaths, and light shows playing on the houses.

Now one thing that will for sure get you into the Christmas spirit is CHRISTMAS MUSIC! For many people, Christmas music is annoying, but for me it’s my favorite part about the Christmas season! I start listening just after Halloween up until January. I just can’t get enough of it! I think you can’t go wrong with the classics, but over the years there have been some great new additions. Some personal favorites include “All I Want for Christmas” by Mariah Carey, “Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow” by Frank Sinatra, “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” by *NSYNC, “O’Holy Night” by Perry Como, “Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms, and last but not least “Feliz Navidad” by José Feliciano. These options are sure to get you into the Christmas spirit!

After listening to some Christmas music, there is nothing better then curling up on your couch to watch a Christmas movie to get you in the mood. Movies such as The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Elf, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Home Alone, Frosty the Snowman, and my personal favorite, Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer. One way to watch all of the best Christmas movies is on ABC’s 25 day countdown to Christmas. Be sure to watch these classics alongside friends and family!

I firmly believe that it is never quite Christmas time until you get a tree! Whether you are living in a dorm room, apartment, or house, there is always room for a Christmas tree. In my dorm room we have two! There is nothing like picking out the perfect tree and decorating it with your friends and family to get you in the Christmas spirit. If it’s in your dorm room, run to the nearest convenient store and pick out ornaments and a tree topper and finish decorating while blasting some Christmas tunes. Every time you walk into your dorm room or house, the tree is the first thing that you will see and will instantly make your day so much better!

You might be thinking that there is still no way my suggestions will help you get into the Christmas spirit, and you may be right. These are only a few ideas that just so happen to be some of my favorites. The only way someone is truly going to find their Christmas spirit is by radiating positivity, happiness, and pure joy. By doing all the things that inspire you, surrounding yourself with the people you love, and enjoying what each day brings are some of the easiest ways to get into the Christmas spirit. If you believe in yourself, then you have found what it truly means to have Christmas spirit!

Merry Christmas!

xoxo

Hi! My name is Hayli Poisson and I am originally from Marblehead, MA! I am currently a sophomore here at St. Lawrence and I am the secretary of HerCampus!