Fun Fall Recipes to Try This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

The changing weather that comes with the transition of summer to fall presents a great opportunity to gather together with your girls and make some fall treats! You can do this together outside on a day during the week before spending the rest of your time on schoolwork, or you could all collaborate on a nice weekend afternoon. These recipes are quick and easy to make, so set aside a little bit of time within the next few weeks and get baking! If you are feeling extra festive about the impending fall weather, you can add a little pumpkin spice to your snacks as well. 

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Granola Bars:

These are perfect for fall and are incredibly easy to store! Pro tip: they taste better after being in the freezer.

Ingredients: 3 and 1/4 cups old fashioned oats, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ cup pumpkin puree, ¼ cup applesauce, ¼ cup honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cup of chocolate chips.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk oats, spices, and salt together. Set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour over oats and stir well, until all of the oats are moist. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Evenly press oat mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. The pumpkin keeps the bars moist, so make sure that they are golden and set–you don’t want them to be under-baked. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.

5. Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Remove from pan and let cool completely.

Maple Almond Cranberry Granola:

Granola is perfect for when you need a little something sweet or crunchy, plus it’s also a healthier option!

Ingredients:

2 and 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, 1 cup raw whole almonds, 2/3 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pinch of salt, 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

2. Toss the oats, almonds, cranberries, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Make sure all of the oats are moistened.

3. Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow granola to cool completely– the air will help the granola obtain a crunchy texture.

Churro Pretzels:

Don’t these sound (and look) amazing? Fit for the fall season but yummy no matter what, these are also great for snacking on the go.

Pack a little bag to bring with you to class or to the library!

Ingredients:

9 cups pretzels (about 1 bag of the minis), 1½ cups cinnamon chips, 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 cup + 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, ½ cup + 1 teaspoon sugar, 3 teaspoons of cinnamon, parchment or wax paper.

Directions:

1. Place the pretzels in a very large bowl.

2. In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, sugar and cinnamon and stir until even. Set aside.

3. Over medium low heat, add the cinnamon chips and butter to a sauce pan and stir continually. Remove from heat and quickly dump over the pretzels. Using a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula, fold the cinnamon mixture over the pretzels until evenly coated.

4. Quickly add the powdered sugar mixture and fold again. Spread out on parchment or wax paper to cool.

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Acorns:

These acorns are adorable and are incredibly easy to make. Beware: once you start eating them, it will be hard to stop!

Ingredients:

Hershey’s Kisses, Nutter Butters, Mini Chocolate Chips.

Directions:

1. Melt 1/2 bag of Mini-Chips (5 second interval in the microwave, stirring really well each time).

2. Dip the flat end of the Hershey’s Kiss into melted chocolate and top with a bite-size Nutter Butter.

3. Dip the flat end of a Mini-Chip into the melted chocolate and stick it to the Nutter Butter.

Caramel Apple Nachos:

Want something that is *slightly* on the healthier side? This recipe is a great way to help you get in that “apple a day”!

Ingredients:

4 Granny Smith apples (cored and thinly sliced), 1 cup white chocolate chips (melted), 3/4 cup of caramel sauce (warmed in microwave), 1 cup chopped pretzels, 2 Heath bars (broken into pieces).

Directions:

1. On a large plate, arrange apple slices on top of one another.

2. Drizzle half of the white chocolate and half of the caramel sauce, then top with pretzels and Heath bar pieces.

3. Drizzle with remaining white chocolate and caramel. Serve immediately.

Photos: Giphy.com, Delish, Honey and Butter, Pinterest, The Fresh Fridge, Two Peas and Their Pod.