This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Touring St. Lawrence as a junior in high school, I heard time and time again how students often took advantage of the close proximity the university had to Canada whenever they could. When I finally decided to come here, I often got told, “You’re going to the middle of nowhere!” My response was always, “Well it’s close to Canada!” But up until last weekend I had never actually taken advantage of what was just across the border. I only had about three days in Montreal, but here are a quick four things that you must check off your list if you are short for time!

1.     Poutine

Poutine is now served around the world, but it was originally made in Quebec which is why it is a must to get in Canada if you want to be able to say you have had real poutine. This dish is made of French friends, cheese curds, with brown gravy added on top. Often you can even add some type of meat on top. Poutine, Canada’s national dish, is served at almost every restaurant so don’t forget to order it at some point during your visit!

2.     Musée d’Art Contemporain de Montréal

Montreal’s Museum of Contemporary Art is currently holding an exhibit on its very own Leonard Cohen, one that features visual and audio art. This museum does temporary exhibits which makes it even better since you can go as many times as you want and see a different artist each time. Another bonus that should not be overlooked since as college students we are always looking to save money is that they offer a student discount. Just don’t forget your ID!

3.     Crepes

Sure, Dana has the waffle makers, but they don’t have crepes so take every opportunity to get one (or many) when in Montreal. This “thin pancake,” as some call it, can be served either savory or sweet. Personally, I always order one that is filled with Nutella and some type of fruit like bananas or strawberries, but if you are looking for a more savory option, you might want to order one with things like cheese and ham in it. Crepes are on every breakfast menu in Montreal so there are no excuses for passing up this opportunity.

4.     Biodome

The Montreal Biodome can be found within the Olympic Park. It is made up of four ecosystem replicas, including a tropical forest, a Laurentian Maple forest, a Saint Lawrence marine eco-system, and a sub-polar region. When walking through the different exhibits, you will also see animals that live within them, making it seem even more realistic. You can get through the whole thing in about an hour so don’t stress if you are short for time, but if it’s bad weather while you are there, it’s the perfect place to stroll around in for a few hours.