This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

For anyone who is an English major/minor or just has to write a lot, you might understand the struggle of finding the perfect place to sit down and get your creative juices flowing. I personally need a place with lots of natural light, decently quiet, and somewhere I can sit for a long period of time. Recently my English class went around and had everyone share their favorite spots to write on our campus. Agreeing with most, I thought it might be helpful to share them and hopefully spark some inspiration! 

1. Herring Cole. Although very dark inside, the building does have a very cozy and comforting feeling to it. I don’t work there very often, but when I have, I’ve loved the atmosphere and was able to get a lot of stuff done. It tends to be a very quiet place and is a smaller room, which can be nicer than the big library. Herring Cole is a beautiful building inside and out, not to mention the pretty views outside and the stain glass windows. Sometimes it’s hard to get a spot, so try to get there earlier in the day! And wear warmer clothes, it can get a bit chilly.  

1. Yellow Pipe Room in the library. I have recently rediscovered my love for working here. It’s one of the quietest room in the library, and all the tables are along the walls, against large windows looking out towards Park Street. The natural lighting really helps me write, and I love to look out at the fall trees. I generally go when I’m in the library alone, which I find to be helpful for my writing too. Try the room out if you haven’t yet! 

1. The bookstore. This is a great space that makes you feel like you’re a bit off campus, but still super close and easy to get to! It’s super nice to sit and drink a coffee at the cafe, but that can get a bit noisy for some. If you’re looking for a little more peace and quiet, sitting by the fire towards the back is another good option. My personal favorite, is to sit upstairs in the comfy chairs that look out onto campus! 

1. Anywhere outside. Sitting at the quad on an adirondack chair can be super comfy. I also love to sit on the benches by the round-about outside of Hepburn. It might not be the most convenient when using a laptop, but I find it to be really peaceful and you can find lots of inspiration from everything around you!  

Hopefully these suggestions help with finding your groove when writing. I think it’s nice to switch sceneries every so often, and see how it affects my creativity and productivity. Try them out when you get the chance!  

I’m Daphne Stanton and I’m a sophomore at St. Lawrence.
Charlotte Barry

St. Law U '21

Hi! My name is Charlotte Barry and I am a member of the SLU Her Campus chapter!