burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

College Fashion 101: Leggings as Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

“Athleisure” is a popular clothing trend that emerged throughout 2016. For busy collegiettes, however, this look is nothing new. Whether you are going to class, meeting with professors, or attending extracurriculars, you want to look put together without sacrificing comfort in your day-to-day style. This becomes especially true during the colder winter months when it’s tough enough just getting out of bed in the morning, let alone getting dressed nicely for class. However, there are a few tips that could help dress up the one comfy staple that exists in almost every college girl’s wardrobe: leggings. The great thing about leggings is their versatility, and although they are often worn for working out and lounging around on the weekends, they can definitely be worn as pants *when done correctly.* If you are contemplating whether or not it’s really okay to sport a pair of leggings as pants, just be sure to stick to these few rules. Grab your favorite pair and start styling!

1. Stick to Dark Colors

Lighter hues, patterns, and neon colors tend to be the best options for fun workout leggings, however, it is best to stick to black, charcoal gray and navy shades when wearing them outside of an athletic setting. This will help the look blend together better and will allow you to pair outfits seamlessly. Black offers a great canvas to base the rest of your outfit choices off of, and the options are truly endless!

1. Keep Your Rearview Covered

This is important if you are trying to look more put together and not like you just came from the gym. You can wear a long flowy blouse or an oversized chunky-knit sweater, but longer layers on top will ensure three key things: extra comfort and warmth, the ability to take off layers for those classes where the heat is cranked up, and a slimming effect with the fitted leggings on the bottom.

3. Wear Higher-Quality Pairs

Another crucial part of wearing leggings out and about is to remember that you are indeed substituting them for regular pants, so wearing a thicker, good quality pair is the best way to closely replicate a similar look. In other words, the shape should last throughout the day, they shouldn’t be sheer, and should have a wider waistband for optimal comfort. Try to invest in a few solid pairs or put them on your list for this Christmas, as they will serve you a lot of function throughout the rest of your time at college. Lululemon Athletica, Zella by Nordstrom, Athleta, Reebok, Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour (who sponsors SLU!) offer a range of pairs in all different lengths and styles, and the price will be worth it when you realize how much washing and wearing you will be doing!

4. Pick the Right Shoes

Footwear is essential when trying to be both practical and comfortable on a college campus, specifically in snowy or rainy weather. Remember to pick taller shoes that will help protect your ankles from the cold, and will hide the fact that you are using workout gear outside of your cardio routine! If you are wearing moto boots, heeled booties, or L.L Bean boots (which all tend to be on the shorter side) then slide on a pair of neutral, cozy socks. On the other end, taller boots help again to add to that seamless, sleek look. Great options include Hunter rain boots, dark-toned leather riding boots, Sorel winter boots, or a pair of over-the-knee boots in leather or suede which are totally on trend! Lastly, if you want to go for the “sportier” look, just keep your sneakers on and your hair up after the gym and throw on some casual layers with a scarf or a vest.

Hi! I am Colby Hoffman, a Boston-born Campus Correspondent at St. Lawrence University located in Canton, New York. I am in the Class of 2020 and am pursuing a major in Communications with a minor in Sociology. Aside from running our chapter, I am also a member of the Women's Lacrosse Team, a content strategist on the University's Social Media Team, the Alumni Relations Chair of Delta Delta Delta Sorority, and an Ambassador & Tour Guide in our Admissions Office! In my free time, I enjoy going for walks around our beautiful campus, hanging out with friends over good food, researching travel destinations, and drinking iced coffee.