This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

Here are some health tips I live by, and I always feel so much better when I make an effort to make a routine of each of these things.

Drink more water

I know it may seem overemphasized and you are tired of hearing it but: DRINK. MORE. WATER. Your life depends on it, and so does your skin, energy, and digestion. Your body is made up of 70% water and it is essential for your body to function properly. Maybe instead of going for that candy bar, try drinking a glass of water first and see how you feel after. Sometimes when we think we are hungry, it’s actually our bodies telling us we need more water! I find having a water bottle with a straw helps me take sips more often which helps me drink more water throughout the day!

Get more active!

Whether it’s a quick walk outside, some yoga with friends, or getting back into the gym, your body will thank you. By exercising and raising your heart rate, you increase your metabolism, sweat out toxins, and can have better quality sleep. When you work out, your body produces endorphins, which boost your energy and mood and can make your day way better! It may be hard to find time, but make an effort to find a routine, as it will quickly benefit your daily life.

Soak up some sunshine!

A boost of Vitamin D raises our energy levels and improves our mood. As the weather starts to get warmer, take some time to spend outside, as the fresh air is also good for our lungs. You may not be able to tan as the UV rays are too low, but your body is still getting rays, which is important for your health!

Get on a consistent sleep schedule

Even if you are getting less sleep than people say you should, it is better to get less sleep on a consistent schedule than to go to sleep and wake up inconsistently. For example, it’s better to go to bed at 1am every night and wake up at 8am than to go to bed at 9pm one night, then 2pm, then 11pm. When you sleep and wake up at different times, it throws off your body’s internal clock and makes your sleep restless. Finding a consistent schedule and sticking to it helps your body know when to sleep and when to be awake, which will make your life easier. 

Focus on your mental health

All of the things above will boost your mood and energy levels if you are consistent, but sometimes we just need a break. It’s ok to not want to do anything and instead just relax to destress, but don’t let it become a habit. Take your day off, binge a Netflix series in bed, eat a bag of your favorite chips, go to that event with your friends, whatever you need. But then get back on track and crush it! Our bodies need these breaks to decompress and rejuvenate, and we all do this differently. 

Focus on making the best of every day and sticking to a schedule and your body will thank you. These simple steps could be just the boost you need to a brighter lifestyle!

Disclaimer: Her Campus St. Law U is neither sponsored by nor affiliated with any brands or companies mentioned in this article. 

Did you enjoy this article? Be sure to check out more of our articles and our socials! Are you interested in joining? Be sure to reach out to us on our platforms or fill out the sign-up link.

LINKS HERE: https://linktr.ee/hcstlawu

I am a first year at SLU from Des Moines, Iowa. I am on the volleyball and equestrian team. I love being social with friends and working out is my fav stress reliever. Fall is my favorite season and I love pumpkin smelling everything. Country is my favorite genre, but Chainsmokers are my favorite duo
Olivia Modarelli

St. Law U '24

Hi, I'm Olivia! I am currently a freshman at St. Lawrence University and am so excited to be starting my college career. I love to travel, write, dance and act, and I am currently pursuing a career in both writing and the performing arts. Check out this blog post from my gap year abroad: https://blog.apiabroad.com/on-site/auditioning-for-the-moulin-rouge-api-blog/