10 Tips for Incoming Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. Law U chapter.

1. Not knowing what you want to major in is completely fine, however, thinking about what you’re interested in and the requirements for those potential majors is important. When you’re registering for classes, remember to take a variety of courses that interest you. Take advantage of the time you have freshman year to explore your options before having to declare your major. You can also reach out to your academic advisor, a professor, or an upperclassman who is majoring in the department you are interested in for some sage advice.

2. If you don’t think you have found your group of friends right away, it is completely fine. Finding your core friend group takes time; just remember to be friendly to everyone and to meet as many people as you can!

3. It is important to know that your daily habits will change once you’re in college. Eating well and exercising can seem difficult at times, however, it is important to incorporate both into your everyday schedule.

4. With that said, being social is also an important part of being healthy. It is easy to stay isolated in ODY Library or in your room studying, but being social is crucial when starting out in college. Being social comes in many forms other than partying, such as joining clubs and organizations, or just texting new friends to grab dinner or study together.

5. If you’re unsure of the party scene in college, remember that there are lots of options, and you don’t have to go to parties to make new friends. However, if you do, make sure to stick with others and to have fun!  

6. If you are in a relationship when entering college, it can sometimes make things a little more difficult. However, putting in the extra effort to stay in contact will make things much easier. Long distance relationships can be hard, but they are possible. If you’re looking to be in a relationship once you’re in college, be patient; meeting someone special takes time.

7. Living in a dorm has its challenges, and sharing space can prove to be difficult. However, being open with your roommate/floor mates can definitely help to ease any discomfort or complications.

8. Getting homesick does happen, but staying in contact with your family and friends back home helps to remind you that they are only a phone call away. Keeping sentimental items in your room, such as pictures, also helps when you’re missing familiarity. Remember that college is a time to branch out, and though it can be hard, it is an important step to take.   

9. Getting sick also happens! Make sure that when you’re starting to feel ill that you’re proactive about it; there’s nothing wrong with missing one night out to have some needed down time! It can be easy to keep pushing yourself to do it all, however, it doesn’t end well when you are sick, stressed, and overtired. If you are feeling under the weather, definitely take the time to get better when you notice the first signs of a cold. In addition, make sure to use the Health Center as a resource when you need to.

10. Lastly, it feels as though freshman year goes by very quickly, even if at times throughout the year it doesn’t feel that way. Take time to cherish the memories you make, because before you know it, you’ll be entering sophomore year!

Kayla is Junior at St. Lawrence University, majoring in Communications and minoring in Sociology. She is a member of the Women's Lacrosse team on campus and is Vice President of Public Relations at Delta Delta Delta. She lives in Milbrook, NY where she is the 2nd oldest of four children and where her 4 doggies stay. Her role models include.. Amy Schumer. Kayla just recently got back from a semester abroad in Prague and is excited to pick up Chapter Coorespondent for Her Campus St. Law U once again!