megan thee stallion?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
megan thee stallion?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NBC

Women Who Run the Rap Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It is not easy to make it in the rap industry, especially with the cutthroat competition and the multiple skills it takes to win the game. We usually see the rap game being male-dominated, but there are many female rappers who are shifting that narrative. I compiled a list containing some of the most popular female rappers who dominate and will continue to take over the industry with their chart-topping songs, viral music videos, and their continuously-growing fan bases. Let’s dive into their achievements and contributions to rap culture!

1. Flo Milli

This 22-year-old rapper from Alabama rose to fame with her viral songs, “Beef Flomix” – a remix of Ethereal and Playboi Carti’s track in 2015 – and “In the Party” – her breakout single that became a viral TikTok sound in 2019. Afterwards, she signed with RCA Records and continued to make motivating and confidence-boosting tracks, with her most recent one also trending on TikTok titled, “Conceited.”

1. Cardi B

This Bronx native rapper has proved to many that you can make it anywhere, even if you come from nothing. Before her rap career, she was an exotic dancer and a community college student, but that all changed when she gained attraction on Vine and Instagram. Fast forward to 2017 to the present day, she has released her breakthrough album in 2018, Invasion of Privacy, with her infamous hits, “Bodak Yellow ” and “I Like It” featuring Bad Bunny and J Balvin. She’s known for her filter-free lyrics and her aggressive flow in every verse she spits, especially in “Tomorrow 2” – her most recent song with up-and-coming rapper, GloRilla.

1. Rico Nasty

Rico Nasty is known for her rockstar, punk-esque music and for presenting various alter egos in her albums. Her career began to take off with her songs “Poppin”, “Key Lime OG”, and “Smack a B*tch”, which was on the list of “The Best Songs of 2018” according to The Fader. She then signed with Atlantic Records, leading her to drop her most well-known albums: Nasty, Anger Management and Nightmare Vacation, where she collaborated with popular producers like Kenny Beats, Tay Keith and Take a Daytrip. Nobody compares to Rico’s dominant personality that she gives off in her upbeat mixtapes, such as Las Ruinas, her second studio album she released in July.

1. City Girls

This incomparable duo from Miami, Florida has changed the game with their insane flow and unapologetic, female-empowering lyrics. They signed with Quality Control Music in 2018 and then released their debut mixtape, Period. They then went on to release their first studio album, Girl Code, which reached the top of the charts with the tracks “Act Up” and “Twerk” (featuring Cardi B). Their following studio album, City On Lock, received tons of recognition for their collaborations with artists like Doja Cat, Yo Gotti, Lil Durk and Lil Baby.

1. Nicki Minaj

Now, this is no unfamiliar name to the music industry. The long-time rap queen, Nicki Minaj has inspired many famous female rappers with her remarkable performances, iconic music videos and female-empowering anthems. It is no surprise she’s one of the most successful rappers in the world with the legacy she leaves on rap culture. Minaj has persevered through criticism, expanded her army of fans (who are better known as the Barbz), and has won multiple awards taking the title as the queen of rap.

1. Megan Thee Stallion

The 27-year-old rapper from Houston, Texas has dominated the rap game with her mind-blowing freestyling skills and her game-changing, female-empowering lyrics. Megan does not think twice when it comes to writing songs about embracing her sexuality and feeling powerful in her own body. This Grammy-winning rapper has made multiple hit tracks like “Body” and “Girls in the Hood,” which were tracks on her certified platinum album, Good News (2020). She truly disproves the idea that the rap industry is male-dominated as she continues to top the energy of most rappers with her insane flow.

Marissa Duldulao

St. John's '26

Marissa is currently a sophomore at St. John’s University in Queens, New York. She is originally from Orlando, Florida. She's majoring in Communications, minoring in film and writes articles on music, fashion, films, culture and feminism. IG: @marissa.dul