This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As the colder weather approaches, now is the perfect time to pick up reading again. Whether it be classic, timeless books, or ones that are newly released, these reads are perfect for the winter season.

Rebecca by: Daphne du Maurier

Rebecca is a classic novel that tells the story of a young narrator who marries a wealthier, older man. As they begin their new lives together, the narrator, who is not even given a name, lives in the shadows of her new husband’s deceased ex-wife. This book is perfect to read in the winter months because of the melancholy atmosphere, sprawling old estates, and haunting romances. For Taylor Swift fans, the song “Tolerate It” from Evermore was based off of this very novel.

Beautiful World, Where Are You by: Sally Rooney

This is author Sally Rooney’s 3rd novel, and was just recently released this past fall. She is known for her debut novel Normal People (another great read), which was such a success that it was made into a Hulu show. The basis of this book surrounds Alex, a novelist, who meets Felix and they travel to Rome together. Rooney’s novels are very character based, and she spends a lot of time developing and enriching their personalities. Beautiful World, Where Are You is a testament to the struggles of adulthood and navigating relationships.

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by: Ottessa Moshfegh

Taking place in New York City in the early 2000’s, there is a nameless narrator who is trying to sleep for an entire year. Completely delusional with the help of an unhelpful psychiatrist, the narrator attempts to use pills to knock herself unconscious in order to sleep through her life. This book is an eerie read for the winter and very easy to get through. However, it can be very dark so researching trigger warnings is necessary.

Olivia Rainson

St. John's '25

Aspiring writer for Her Campus at St. John's University!