This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

There are few places better for making friends than college. When I got to college, I was extremely excited to make new friends and to start lifelong relationships. I had the picturesque vision of taking college graduation pictures together, being in each other’s weddings, and getting together every now and then to catch up later in life. It all sounds a bit cliche but I realized that when I got to college, my dreams could actually become true. I am generally a quiet person, but I am also an open book. It is not hard for me to tell if I click with people or not, or if I am compatible with a person. Arriving at my suite in August, I found my first college best friends. Since then, we have been through everything together. We have conquered the subway and explored the city. We have gotten through homesickness and heartbreak, situationships and mean girls. This semester, we even are going through a national pandemic together! Even now when we are away from each other, we still send each other TikToks, face-time for 5 hours, and have virtual movie nights. In the future, I cannot wait to study abroad together, live together, and eventually graduate from St. John’s together and start new journeys. One thing I know for sure is that my Freshman friends will forever hold a special place in my heart and I am so thankful for what they have taught me and what we have been through. They are the ones who essentially get you through your Freshman year and they lay the foundation for your support system for years to come. I think another thing that makes your first college friends so special is that you are all going through one of the craziest and most bizarre times of your life, and you are forced to go through it together. Because of this, I promise you will cry and you will laugh together. My friends have seen me at my absolute best and my worst. They have made St. John’s my home. No longer do I get homesick or feel uncomfortable when I am at school. I went from going home almost every weekend to not even wanting to leave campus. Not because I did not love my family or miss my hometown, but because I knew I would miss them more. They provided me with the confidence and the comfort I needed to make the transition from high school to college and for living independently easier. You cannot go through this crazy thing called college alone and thanks to them I know I do not have to. I feel like I can conquer anything with them by my side and I cannot wait to make more friends in the years to come, and to watch the friendships I already have grow.

Taylor is a Senior English major at St. John's University. After college, she plans on pursuing graduate school and a career in Higher Education Administration.