This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Logging On For Your Next Hulu Binge Day

By: Anna McFillin

Being a premium student member of Spotify has afforded me the advantage of having Hulu to stream shows and movies. Both a wonderful and deadly thing, I have found myself on binge overload. Here is a short guide on some popular, and not so popular Hulu shows to binge!

First, a classic, very popular Hulu show, that quite honestly deserves all of its praise. I came across the Handmaid’s Tale when I first signed onto Hulu. I won’t lie, I’ve watched it three times.

The Handmaid’s Tale is an award winning, modern dystopia show. It is set in current times, but is trying to revert society back to early times, where women were just seen as birth givers. When the deteriorating environment causes rapid decline of babies being born, the few women who are still young and able are selected to be handmaids. I won’t give too many spoilers, but this show includes themes of feminism, societal prejudice, and the importance of the environment.

The writer of the show, Bruce Miller, took the idea straight from the book by Margaret Atwood. With our current political, societal, and environmental issues going on, this show hits close to home. Imagine what life would be like being a handmaid?

Next, on a little lighter note, is an old MTV cartoon show from the 90s, Daria. Aside from being able to provide us with classic quotes such as “Does this black match?” or “I didn’t have time to study with all of my fashion club duties”, Daria captures what life is life for a teenage girl just trying to get through high school.

With a significantly low self esteem, the show captures how Daria handles the world around her. Her own sister doesnt even like her (she doesnt show appreciation in public and calls Daria her cousin) and everyone else views her as a hopeless and depressed girl.

Daria is a great coming of age show, and relatable for us, even in college.

Another show that is perfect for your silly and sarcastic mood, Nathan For You. Nathan Fielder is a young Canadian entrepreneur, with ridiculous business ideas. He scouts out clients who he believes will comply to his ridiculous business proposals. For example, one episode is about a haunted house and how the owner can make his haunted house so scary, people will want to sue him for being so scared.

It is absolutely ridiculous, but hilarious. This episode and many more will both perplex and humor you. Nathan For You is full of sarcastic jokes, snide remarks, and will overall leave you speechless from his ideas. This show is perfect for if you want to laugh and pass some time. Great mindless TV.

Whether you want a drama, a coming of age, or a sarcastic humorous show, definitely look out for these three shows in your browsing.

Happy binging!

Contributor Account
London-Calderon is a Senior at St. John's University and is EIC for the chapter. She spends her time writing, listening to music and working on several unfinished books. When she graduates she plans on going into the workforce and reporting for a publication. She is also an intern at Newsday Media.