Life > Experiences

What to do as a College Student in NYC: Manhattan Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

If you find yourself in your dorm wanting to explore and go out to different places, but don’t know where to go, keep reading this. As a college student living in one of the most amazing cities, you can find plenty of activities that match what you like and what you would enjoy. There’s art everywhere that you can be delighted by and restaurants that will have you in awe. Here are some of the best things you can do and places to visit in Manhattan:

Museums 

One of the most exciting things in Manhattan is all the museums you can visit. From the classics such as The Met, American National History Museum, and The MoMa, to the Museum of Ice Cream, Spyscape, Museum of Sex, Museum of illusions, and plenty more. Some of these museums have student discounts and they are great to spend some time with friends and have fun! You can find multiple museums that best match what you would be interested in.

Observatories 

It is fascinating to know that you’re able to go above 1000 feet in your favorite city. The Edge observatory and Summit observatory are 2 of the newest attractions and they are definitely worth it. Not only are the views breathtaking, but they have areas where you can enjoy a nice dinner or celebrate a special occasion. The whole experience is wonderful and I would definitely recommend it when it is warmer and during sunset hours.

Harry Potter Store                                                                                                                                     

If you’re a big fan of Harry Potter, visit the store located by the Flatiron Building, and if you’re not a fan, still visit (you won’t regret it). The store consists of a complete immersion to the books/movies. You have the option to buy tickets and have a VR experience. However, if you don’t buy the tickets for VR, you will still have an incredible time. From the moment you step inside the store, you feel completely magical. There are decorations for every section, sound effects, and the unforgettable Harry Potter theme song. They also have a Butterbeer bar where you can have Butterbeer and Butterbeer ice cream.

Parks/Piers

There are many green areas to enjoy nature in the middle of the city. Central Park may be the most well known, but you can also check out Bryant Park, Fort Tryon, The Highline, Washington Square Park, Hudson River Park, Rockefeller Park, Battery Park, and a great new spot called Little Island. Additionally, my favorite places to go to in the city when I need some fresh air and great views are the piers downtown. Pier 25 offers many attractions to have a great time such as mini-golf, volleyball courts, restaurants, and plenty more. There is also, Pier 26, Pier 17 which is also an event venue, and many more piers you can enjoy with friends and family. 

Soho 

When in the mood for shopping, Soho is a great place to get all your shopping done and enjoy the classical Soho streets and buildings. There are also multiple amazing restaurants and bakeries in case you need a break from all the shopping. Not just that, but it is a very “instagrammable” spot!

Catch a live show

Now that Broadway is back, you can finally enjoy a good live show: Starting with the Rockettes to get you in the holiday spirit. This is a fun and unique experience to have with your friends and enjoy a night out in the city. Of course, during this time of the year, the Christmas spirit will be all in the air and there’s nothing more magical than seeing a live Christmas season classic!

Sports/Concerts

As college students, it is always fun way to go to your favorite artist’s concert or support your favorite team. Living in the city, you have countless opportunities to see your favorite artist or team! Check for tickets and see who will be performing near you. Plan to go with a group of friends and enjoy. There are also many festivals that happen throughout the year, so make sure to keep an eye on those too.

Karaoke/Bowling

To have a fun time, visit bowling alleys such as Frames and Bowlero Chelsea Piers. Frames also offers a space to dance! Additionally, there are many karaoke bars where you can have fun like 32 Karaoke, Karaoke Duet 35, and Den Social Karaoke where you can have a private room and invite your guests for any special occasion or celebration.

Melody Melo

St. John's '23

Hi! I'm Melody Melo I'm currently a sophomore at St. John's University and I'm majoring in legal studies with a minor in French. I love learning about different cultures and adventuring. I’m interested in philosophy and arts, and I enjoy expressing myself through my writing and style.