Weekend Trips to Take From NYC This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Embrace the crisp air and vibrant hues of fall with weekend getaways from NYC! From the picturesque landscapes of the Hudson Valley to the adventurous activities in the Pocono Mountains, discover these inviting destinations that promise autumnal vibes just a short journey away from the city.  

Hudson Valley, New York 

Experience the embrace of autumn in the Hudson Valley where the forest landscape seasonally transforms into a beautiful display of hues. Take a trip to the Walkway Over the Hudson for a calming stroll amongst the foliage or visit Overlook Mountain for an intermediate-level hiking experience. This cozy region also houses stunning architecture with a variety of historic mansions and the Sleepy Hollow lighthouse.

Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania 

Embrace your inner thrill-seeker with fun activities in the Pocono Mountains that will surely give you an adrenaline rush. Participate in hikes of various difficulty levels along the Delaware Water Gap or explore a new thrill on Camelback Mountain Resort’s very own zip line and mountain coaster through the forest! 

Saratoga Springs, New York 

Spend some time in this cozy town that’s filled with character by participating in local activities. Enjoy the small-town vibes with their plentiful array of boutiques and signature horse racing events. The city has numerous orchards for pumpkin and apple picking – staple fall activities that are not to be missed out on. 

Floral Park, New York 

Need an affordable getaway from your campus in the boroughs? Floral Park is home to the Queens County Farm Museum, which is free to the public on non-ticketed admission days. The farm offers a multitude of experiences from hayrides to livestock feeding. The best part: they have a store filled with house-made items like eggs, honey and yarn to take home with you.

Governors Island, New York 

Try glamping – an upscaled approach to traditional camping – on this island just south of Manhattan. Tent packages include breakfast and campfires, as well as access to mindfulness fitness classes and stunning views. Be sure to check the overnight temperatures before booking as the colder months are approaching!

Embrace the crisp air, vibrant hues and the warmth of seasonal activities with this array of autumn retreats. Whether it’s the picturesque landscapes of the Hudson Valley, the adventurous spirit of the Pocono Mountains, the charming character of Saratoga Springs, the affordability of Floral Park or the unique glamping on Governors Island, these destinations offer the perfect blend of fall vibes for those seeking a memorable autumn experience. 

Emily Blickhahn

St. John's '26

Emily Blickhahn is a student at St. John's University in Queens, New York. She is an Adolescent Education major with focuses in Math and TESOL. She loves to workout and go to the gym in her free time.