Style > Decor

Ways to Spruce Up Your Room for the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The New Year is a great opportunity for new beginnings. Since we all have been spending a lot more time in the house, why not use a new year as an excuse to add some cool touches to your room? Here are 10 ways that you can easily spruce up your room for 2021:

1. Vision Board

Vision boards are becoming more and more popular, and if you make one for yourself, you will understand why! Vision boards should include quotes that inspire you, pictures of goals you want to reach, and generally anything that makes you excited for the future! Adding a vision board to your wall is sure to spruce up your room and inspire you to reach for the stars at the same time! 

2. Photo Wall

These take a little more effort, but are so worth it! Print out your favorite pictures and hang them up on your wall. They will be a great way to change up the look of your room while showing some appreciation for the people that matter most to you.

3. Collage

This is my personal favorite. Collages are great because they are fun and super easy to create. Grab some old magazines and some scissors and cut out your favorite images and words. These look amazing in rooms and make it look like you put in way more effort than you really did!

4. Fake/real flowers

I am no green thumb, but flowers make any room look awesome. Whether you use fake or real flowers, your room will instantly look happier and brighter. You can even color coordinate them to go with the color scheme in your room. This is a really inexpensive way to add some cool accents to your room.

5. Accent Wall

I am a huge fan of accent walls because they only require you to paint one wall and it still makes your room look different. Grab a little paint and some brushes, and add a different color wall for some variety!

6. New door color

Just like an accent wall, painting your door a different color can add a little variety without you having to paint the whole room. You can also add stripes or another design if you want to get adventurous!

7. DIY Artwork

If you like to DIY, you can always do a quick search on YouTube or Pinterest and find easy ways to make your own artwork. You can come up with some cool ideas on your own too! This is definitely a fun one!

8. Shadow Box

Shadow boxes are very sentimental and add a cool touch to any space. Take something that means a lot to you and place it in a shadow box to add a unique touch to your room. You can make your own shadow box easily, or buy one.

9. Bright Rug

If you want to do some shopping, find a fun rug to add to your room! Rugs make any space seem comfier and they can help tie a whole room together. There are so many to choose from!

10. Lights/Garlands

Lastly, lights and garlands are not just for Christmas! These are both very simple but garlands can transform a room and string lights can make your room look very cool at night! 

Happy Decorating!

Taylor is a Senior English major at St. John's University. After college, she plans on pursuing graduate school and a career in Higher Education Administration.