Style > Beauty

Ways to Protect Your Skin as the Months Get Colder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Protecting your skin during winter is extremely important. Winter weather has never been fun for skin. Cold weather and low humidity, which creates dry and crisp air, steals the moisture away from your skin each day. 

Without the proper care your skin needs, it will start to crack and bleed. With winter winds, your skin will become worse. Indoor heat also strips your skin of the moisture it needs to be healthy. 

To reduce redness, itching, chafing, and keeping your skin as healthy as possible, try these tips: 

1. Wash your face with lukewarm water

Washing your face with lukewarm water will help your skin not turn dry. Though many want the warmth of a hot water in the winter, it actually can strip the skin of natural oils leaving it drier than before. 

2. Moisturize your face immediately after washing

Since the air is extremely crisp outside during the winter, your skin needs more moisture, especially after washing your face. Applying moisturizer to damp skin helps seal the dampness and moisture from the water into your skin. Anytime you shower or take a bath, keep a bottle of your moisturizer next to you.

3. Choosing the right moisturizer for you

Many moisturizers that you can get in drugstores dry out your skin more due to petroleum-based ingredients in them.  To keep your skin healthy and moisturized during the winter, choosing a smart formula that has natural, nourishing ingredients in it is the way to go. And oil-based moisturizer is better rather than a water-based since it is more likely to retain moisture in your skin during the winter. Some great moisturizer options are: India Lee’s natural moisturizing oils, or, my personal favorite, Dermalogica Active Moist Moisturizer. 

4. Protecting your skin when outside

Make sure you have a warm and fluffy scarf and gloves for the cold winds, rain, and snow in the winter. In addition, never forget to put on sunscreen, the winter sun can be extremely damaging, just like the summer sun, so apply a safe amount of sunscreen. Some examples are: zinc oxide like in Neutrogena SheerZinc sunscreen, or titanium dioxide like Neutrogena UltraSheer. Apply sunscreen to any exposed areas during the winter months. 

5. Drinking the proper beverages

Though we love our hot drinks like hot cocoa and coffee in the winter, we tend to drink less water in the winter. Your skin needs hydration from the inside and out, so a little warm water or tea with lemon can be very refreshing and hydrating for the skin.

6. Exfoliating the skin

Many women forget that so many skin cells die in the winter, especially on our hands and faces. Finding an amazing exfoliating mask to use on your face and hands is something that is essential for winter. In addition, your lips also need exfoliating in the wintertime due to the dilemma of chapped lips. After exfoliating, follow immediately with your moisturizer for smooth skin. Exfoliating body washes are also extremely helpful in the winter months, so use that in your shower routine.

For dry, sensitive skin: Cetaphil Extra Gentle Daily Scrub

For oily skin: Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser

For combination skin: L’oreal Paris Pure-Sugar Scrub 

For whole body: The Body Shop Mango Exfoliating Body Scrub

For lips: Jeffree Starr Cosmetics Velour Lip Scrubs or LUSH Cosmetics Lip Scrubs

Keeping your skin protected in the winter is extremely important. So follow these tips and see what works for you. I hope you find something you like!

Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

St John’s Student who is studying Sports Management with a minor in journalism. I plan to change the sports world for the better and have women be represented in all aspects of the world.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.