The Truth About Being an Introvert in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Dedicated to Mason Keith

Being an introvert in college has its ups and downs. If any of my fellow introverts are reading this, I’m right there with you. 

We are all told that college is going to be the best four years of our lives and we’ll look back on it as adults. We are also told that our undergraduate years are the prime time to find ourselves and to have fun. These years are advertised with certain things: freedom, no parents, no rules, and so many parties. These experiences sound amazing for extroverts, but what about introverts?

From stories and personal experience, the hardest part of being an introvert in college is the constant pressure to socialize. The stereotypes about college that we feel we have to live by: making friends automatically at New Student Orientation, roommates being our best friends, and people going out every weekend with one another. This pressure to be social can be overwhelming to a lot of people, especially introverts. 

Being in a social setting is one of the most anxiety-inducing things in the world. From the new people to the crowds running to class and in the dining halls, you find yourself becoming overwhelmed. Introverts often wonder if people will accept them for who they are or if they are “good enough” to be friends with during the college years. 

These thoughts come from the way people view introverts. Introverts are viewed as cold, awkward, mean, stuck up, mute, lonely, and weird, which makes them feel worse about themselves. Since social situations can be tough for them, they can feel uncomfortable in certain positions, or they feel like they have nothing they can bring to the conversation. 

In the United States, introverts are assumed to be awkward and strange since that is how Americans view silence. These negative thoughts are assigned to people, and lead to all these stereotypes. However, many introverts that I have in my life are amazing break these stereotypes. For example, not all of them are shy, my best friend and boyfriend is phenomenal at public speaking, but just wants to be alone sometimes. In addition, he is amazing at introspective thinking, having deep and creative thoughts, and made the deepest connection with me over anyone else. 

Being an introvert is one of the best personality traits you can have. This is because they know how to be alone if they need it, they are like two people in one, and they do not need to party to have a good time. They are amazing listeners, they think before they speak, they’re extremely observant people, loving romantic partners, thoughtful networkers in the job world, and compassionate leaders. These traits make them amazing people that should never be judged for who they are. 

College life and being an introvert tend to not match up, but you can make anything work for you. One way to help college life work for you is by making friends who have the same interests as you, or even a fellow introvert. You are never alone and there will always be people who can connect to you. Also, being proud of your introversion is key to being able to love yourself.

Famous introverts like Bill Gates, J.K. Rowling, Emma Watson, Meryl Streep, and Albert Einstein have all been in your shoes. Introverts have amazing qualities that they should never be ashamed of; they make amazing writers, observers, and are completely committed to making their dreams a reality. Other things like creating your own fun is an amazing thing to do in college. You can do things like suggesting a Netflix marathon with your roommate or suitemate, or going solo and doing things you love like getting creative, or watching Wii Sports compilations on Youtube like I do [they are so hilarious and always make a good laugh]. 

College will always have a place for introverts to escape to. Whether that may be the library or dining hall, you are never alone. Introverts are incredible people. I encourage all of the introverts to experience college fully and with confidence because there will always be a place for you.

Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

St John’s Student who is studying Sports Management with a minor in journalism. I plan to change the sports world for the better and have women be represented in all aspects of the world.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.