Tori Carter, Vice President of Step Ya Game Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

If you’ve gone to one of the many cultural events on campus, you’ve probably already had a charming conversation with Tori Carter. This hard-working junior can usually be seen around campus promoting events as the Vice President of Step Ya Game Up, St John’s University’s step team. 

PR is both Tori’s major, and passion. “I knew that I wanted to be involved with entertainment, and I’ve always been good at writing, so I wanted to combine the two. I took my first PR class in Freshman year, and it just stuck.” With her internship experience, role as a Social Media Ambassador for SJU, and position as a special events volunteer for Wise and Comp, it’s clear that she has been making strides to break into her preferred industry.
When it comes to Step Ya Game up, Tori not only performs with the team, but also helps ensure that arrangements run smoothly. Stating that, “I do more of the logistical stuff, like paperwork regarding our hosts, sending contracts to our adviser, and I work closely with the committee chair. The hardest part is sifting through all of the opinions and finding out what’s best for everyone, and not only making decisions based upon the team itself, but on the brand of the team. At the end of the day, people know what Step Ya Game Up is, and we have to be true to that.” 
When asked about how she balances school, internships, volunteering, and stepping, Tori relies on some motherly advice. “As my mom would put it: ‘you can’t afford to dance on every set.’ You just have to realize that while you want to do everything, and go to every event, you have to take a step back for yourself.”

To see Tori, and Step Ya Game Up perform live, check out some of their upcoming performances.

Carine is a junior at St. John's University, majoring in Communications with a double minor in Business and International Studies. She loves traveling, crafting, and is a cream soda enthusiast.
    just livin'.