This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The female species has been through a lot when it comes to boys. Therefore, it is imperative that we have good songs to listen to if we’re feeling down or better off without men. Taylor Swift, the queen of writing great songs about her own experiences, has plenty of these types of songs. Here are my favorites:

“All Too Well”

“All Too Well” is a very expressive, deep, and meaningful song that is featured on Taylor Swift’s Red album. It covers a tough breakup she went through and how she learns to cope and move on. Taylor Swift revealed that this song was originally ten to fifteen minutes long before getting cut down to around five minutes, showing the impact this relationship really had on her. And who is this song specifically about? Jake Gyllenhaal. 

Favorite Lyrics: 

“And I know it’s long gone and that magic’s not here no more

And I might be okay but I’m not fine at all”

“But maybe this thing was a masterpiece ’til you tore it all up”

“And you call me up again just to break me like a promise

So casually cruel in the name of being honest”

“Mr. Perfectly Fine”

On April 9th of this year, Taylor Swift blessed us all with her rerecorded Fearless album, Fearless (Taylor’s Version). On this re-recorded album, she also released a few old songs that never made it to the original album, including “Mr. Perfectly Fine”. This song focuses on an individual referred to as “Mr. Perfectly Fine”, and how he is unphased by the ending of their relationship. This recently released anthem is about Joe Jonas, who Taylor Swift dated around 2008. 

Favorite Lyrics: 

“It takes everything in me just to get up each day

But it’s wonderful to see that you’re okay”

“Cause I was Miss ‘Here to stay’

Now I’m Miss ‘Gonna be alright someday’

And someday maybe you’ll miss me

But by then, you’ll be Mr. ‘Too late’”

“Forever and Always”

Mr. Perfectly Fine isn’t the only song about Mr. Joe Jonas. Forever and Always further exposes the truth of their relationship and Jonas’ shocking character. Swift provided two different versions of this song on her Fearless album, the original version (you can belt this one out) and a piano version (gets you in your feels). 

Favorite Lyrics: 

“I hold onto the night, you looked me in the eye and told me you loved me”

“And I stare at the phone, he still hasn’t called

And then you feel so low you can’t feel nothing at all

And you flashback to when he said, ‘Forever and always’”

“Dear John”

The title of this song directly exposes who this song is about, John Mayer. John Mayer is very controversial when it comes to women and his relationships, as he has been deemed sort of abusive by multiple of his past girlfriends and flings. Taylor Swift and John Mayer dated around 2009, when Swift was 19 and Mayer was 32. “Dear John” focuses on the idea that Mayer should have known better not to take advantage of Swift since she was so young. Even today, John Mayer still receives backlash from Swifties (Taylor Swift’s fanbase), specifically in his TikTok video comments. 

Favorite Lyrics:

“Maybe it’s you and your sick need to give love then take it away”

“All the girls that you’ve run dry

Have tired, lifeless eyes

‘Cause you burned them out

But I took your matches before fire could catch me,

So don’t look now, I’m shining like fireworks over your sad, empty town”

“White Horse”

It was never revealed who this song is specifically about, however, “White Horse” describes betrayal in a relationship and how love isn’t always a fairytale. 

Favorite Lyrics:

“I was a dreamer before you went and let me down”

“Cause I’m not your princess, this ain’t a fairytale

I’m gonna find someone someday

Who might actually treat me well”

“Back to December”

“Back to December” has a rather different approach than most of Taylor Swift’s other songs on her past relationships. Most of her songs cover the damage that was done by the other person in her relationship. However, this song focuses on the regret and guilt Taylor has for the ending of this relationship. “Back to December” is about her romance with Taylor Lautner. 

Favorite Lyrics:

“It turns out freedom ain’t nothin’ but missin’ you

Wishin’ I’d realized what I had when you were mine”

“But if we loved again, I swear I’d love you right”

“Picture to Burn”

“Picture to Burn” is a song from Taylor Swift’s debut album, and has a country style to it. It isn’t specified who she wrote this about but people believe it’s one of her past high school boyfriends. This song is powerful in the sense that Taylor Swift makes it known that he will be completely removed from her life and is willing to burn a photo of him to prove it. 

Favorite Lyrics: 

“I realize you love yourself more than you could ever love me”

“So watch me strike a match on all my wasted time

As far as I’m concerned, you’re just another picture to burn”

“The Way I Loved You”

“The Way I Loved You” compares a current and past relationship from Taylor Swift’s perspective. Although she makes it clear that the current relationship is healthy and great, she reveals that she misses the chaos and intense passion of her past relationship. 

Favorite Lyrics: 

“But I miss screaming and fighting and kissing in the rain

And it’s 2:00 a.m. and I’m cursing your name

So in love that you act insane

And that’s the way I loved you”

“And you were wild and crazy

Just so frustrating, intoxicating, complicated”

Isabel O'Neill

St. John's '22

I am a senior Adolescent Education major with a concentration in Spanish. I enjoy writing about pop culture, current events, important topics, and things that make me happy. You can find me shopping, at Chipotle or listening to Harry Styles :)
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.