This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Anyone who knows me, (or has read my bio), knows that I am a huge fan of rom-coms. From Roman Holiday to Crazy Rich Asians, I’d like to say I’ve seen almost every rom-com in existence. So due to my years of extensive research, I believe I’m pretty qualified to present to you what I believe are the top 5 must-see, romantic comedy movies.

1. When Harry Met Sally
    1. Can you really call yourself a fan of rom-coms if you haven’t seen this one? Written by Nora Ephron, the queen of romantic comedies, When Harry Met Sally, focuses on the eternal argument of if boys and girls can ever just be friends, while warming your heart and making you laugh. This movie also happens to feature the fan-favorite enemies to lovers storyline that so many love. When Harry Met Sally also has the most heartwarming soundtrack and iconic filming locations. If you’re not a huge fan of mushy-gushy romantic movies, I recommend starting the genre with this one.
  2. Pretty Woman
    1. Reading a summary of this movie makes it sound a lot less romantic than it actually is, I promise. Pretty Woman is the tale of a sex worker who falls in love with a corporate Wall Street employee. This movie is honestly adorable. You can enjoy the shopping sprees and conquering the fear of heights, while watching the queen of the rom-com genre, Julia Roberts. 
  3. 10 Things I Hate About You
    1. 10 Things I Hate About You is my personal favorite movie of all time (no, seriously, I’ve watched it countless times), and it is the ultimate comfort movie. Not only is the casting impeccable, but the movie itself is just amazing. 10 Things I Hate About You tells the story of a feminist woman who is not looking for a relationship, Kat Dennings (Julia Stiles), and the attempts of the ever-charming Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger), to win her over. This cinematic masterpiece features Kat’s emotional poetry reading and Patrick’s iconic bleacher scene. Please just watch it, you won’t regret it.
  4. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    1. I cannot express how much I love this movie. It starts with reporter Andie (Kate Hudson), writing an article on how to break up with a guy in 10 days. Little does she know, her test subject, Ben (Matthew McConaughey), has a bet with his friends to make her fall in love with him. It sounds like a recipe for disaster, and it kind of is. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is probably the best mix of “rom” and “com” I’ve ever seen, earning it a spot on this list.
  5. Roman Holiday
    1. I just had to include a black and white classic on this list, and Roman Holiday is practically the original rom-com. With the star power of old Hollywood’s Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, this movie tells the story of a princess who runs away from her duties to explore the city of Rome. This movie is everything a classic rom-com should be: a tale of self-discovery and finding happiness. I promise Roman Holiday is not just a boring and old black and white movie.
Grace Kelly

St. John's '25

Grace is in her second year at St. John's University majoring in Adolescent Education with a concentration in English. She enjoys reading, writing, exploring the city, and watching rom-coms in her free time.