Career > Work

Tips and Tricks to Find Your Dream internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

With the fall semester coming to a close, the search for spring internships is approaching the forefront. Even if you don’t decide to apply for the spring, summer internship opportunities will be here before you know it. 

Now, if you’re someone who has never applied or had an internship before, the process can be overwhelming. So, here are a few tips to get you started! 

1. Start by Doing Some Housekeeping 

When was the last time you edited your resume? If your answer is not within the last few weeks, it’s time to take a look. Updating your resume is important in order to demonstrate your credentials and maximize your chances of obtaining an internship. I suggest looking up templates of resumes for your specific major because different fields require unique structures. For example, I am a public relations major, so I have a little more liberty about what it can look like.  

1. Apply For as Many as You Can! 

Apply, apply, apply. You will get turned down from internships at some point. That’s just the way it works, but you shouldn’t let that discourage you. The more internships you apply for, the more chances and viable opportunities you can have. Use LinkedIn, Indeed and Handshake to find internships and connect with people on these platforms within your field of study. These profiles are also living documents you want to keep updated regularly. Also, check the websites of your favorite companies or corporations that you admire. Some internships are not always on job finder websites but can be found on their own separate websites. 

1. Be Involved 

In order to have anything to fill up your resume, you must be involved in both your campus and your community. Join clubs that are geared toward your major and your hobbies. Companies love to see diversity on your resume. 

1. Outreach 

Don’t be afraid to ask people you know! The world is all about the connections you make and the people you know. Ask your neighbors, your parents or even your professors to see if they can help you get opportunities, or if they know someone who can. Do not be embarrassed to use the resources that are available to you. 

I hope these tips were helpful and eased your stress about the internship process. You got this! 

Kaila Lightburn

St. John's '24

Hello my name is Kaila, I’m a Junior at St. John’s University. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in fashion studies. I am also an ambassador, a mentor and apart of the campus magazine and some of my hobbies include watching movies, hanging with friends and reading!