This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As college students, we know what it’s like to wake up 15 minutes before class after losing track of time the night before. We seem to love being in a rush, and for some, it’s a thrill. Rushing in style is an art that can be mastered in a few steps. As a self-proclaimed expert of running late, here are a few of my tips on how to do it in style:

Jewelry is Your Best Friend!

For 12 years, I went to school with a strict uniform dress code, so the only real aspect of my outfit I had control of was my jewelry. In my opinion, it is the most important part of the outfit. Use jewelry to your advantage! When I am running late and have no time to do my hair, I always put on a pair of big gold hoops to take the attention away from the areas I don’t want people to see. Another additive is layered necklaces. Layering your necklaces is a trend that has stuck around for years, and I don’t see it going away anytime soon, so embrace it! Most importantly, only you know what type of jewelry works for you, so wear whatever makes you feel your best.

Go-To Fits!

Whenever I am running late, which is about 50 percent of the time, I like to grab a staple outfit to wear. First up is my favorite pair of blue ripped jeans, a white top, and my high top converse. This simple outfit is effortlessly chic, and will make you feel extra prepared for that 7:30 a.m seminar. Second: another option is a pair of leggings, your favorite crewneck or hoodie, and the best pair of chunky sneakers you own. This look gives me “model-off-duty” vibes, and for extra style points, add a baseball cap. My last staple outfit might be my favorite: wear all black! An all black look is super sleek. It also works for when you have no time to match anything!

Hair is Key!

If you have time to do your hair, you have a few options. The first look you can do is a slicked back ponytail. This hairstyle takes about five minutes to do, and can dress up any look! Another favorite running late style of mine is braiding loose pigtails and tying them with an elastic. This look is so effortless. Be sure to pancake those braids and pull extra pieces to the front to make it look like you rolled out of bed in style. A third option is the classic messy bun. Messy buns will never go out of style (I hope!), and can always be pulled off. 

The Natural Look.

Not everyone may have time for makeup, and some may choose to forego it altogether. I’m all about doing whatever you feel most comfortable with, but if you need ideas, I got you! When I am running late, I quickly curl my eyelashes and add a swipe of my Benefit Roller Lash Mascara. I also can never leave the house without my Glossier Boy Brow in the brown shade. These two items are my holy grail and always add a little flair to my look! 

While many of us set our alarms early because, “today is the day we will get our lives together”, it is inevitable that we will run late at least once. All hot girls are fashionably late! I hope these tips make it a little easier for those days when it feels like the universe is against you. With these tips, you can master the art of styling in a rush!

Olivia Seaman

St. John's '25

Olivia is a first year Journalism and Film Studies student from PA with a passion for women's rights and pop culture. She hopes to change the world one article at a time!