Title Card of 2000s sitcom Girlfriends, created by Mara Brock Akil.
CBS Paramount Network Television

T.V. Show Review: “Girlfriends”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Last year was probably my best binge-watching season. The pandemic truly allowed me to take a break and dive into some new shows to get me away from the reality that I was stuck in the house. I had the joy of watching Joan, Toni, Maya, and Lynn concur friendships, relationships, career, and finances in the 2000s T.V. series, “Girlfriends”. This show for me, is easily a 10/10 recommendation. I mean, who doesn’t like making impulsive decisions with friends, breaking up to make up with your significant other, or the uncertainty of what life has to offer? In a transition from high school to college, this was the perfect way to explore somewhat of what the world had to offer.

The show’s beauty is explicit in that you can see yourself or your peers in the scenarios and characters in almost every scene. For me, “Girlfriends” continuously influenced me to challenge my ideas, flaws, and even insecurities. I noticed the positive aspects in myself as I saw how giving Joan was to her friends, how authentic Maya was, how stylish Toni was, or even how laid back Lynn was. Still, in contrast, I saw the selfishness, disregard for others, impatience, and blatant carelessness of all the characters within myself. My review of the show is pretty simple; it’s a must-watch.

As a Black woman, I truly enjoyed seeing other successful, driven, and independent Black women navigate life on the screen, which is something that before the 2000’s, you rarely saw. This show is simply a gem, but be sure to have your popcorn, tissues, and a close friend nearby for all 8 seasons because you will go through all the emotions. Hopefully, by the end of the show, you will have laughed, cried, smiled, and learned lessons that will assist you in your next steps of life. Happy watching and always remember *cues theme song* “Your girlfriends are there through thick and thin!”

Leah Minerve

St. John's '24

Hello Everyone, I am Leah M., a Sophomore Journalism major and PR minor here at SJU. I can't wait to write about the experiences that women especially can connect, understand, and reflect upon while sharing personal stories from my own life. My goal always is to be a voice for the unheard and bring light to the stories we rarely tell.♡